Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / What are you willing to live without?
<< . 1 . 2 .
SandyR
# Posted: 2 May 2014 09:06

When you work for yourself there is no one telling you when to take a lunch break. You eat when your tummy says it needs food. You go to work any time you want, and leave when you want. You own the place. No one is breathing down my neck to pay the taxes - I know when to do it.

The question was, "What can you live without?'

We have learned that we can live without someone else telling us what to do at a job, and how to do it, or when. It just didn't work for us with the life that we want for ourselves. Best thing we ever did was to work for ourselves.

Turkeyhunter, I have an awful woman that lives down the street that does not approve of our way of living. She likes to try to tell me that. The other day when she came running out to give me a piece of her mind while I was walking my dog, I simply told her not to talk to me, and kept walking.
I too, do not have to talk to people that I don't like. Especially if all they do is complain about my lifestyle.

Lol about your wife! I am guilty of this myself!

About the tv and internet with the news - we haven't had tv reception for the 15 years that we have been married, and I don't watch any news on the internet. I do read the newspaper every night though.
But I don't feel that I need to. It's just something out of habit.

I do like the internet to find sites like this.

Jim in NB
# Posted: 20 May 2014 11:45

At the cottage - everyone is warned that any tv or computer that shows up will be immediately thrown in the lake. Also on my list - phones (visitors can bring cellsbut the reception is poor and I would like to find a way of making it worse), watches or other time telling devices, frowns. I have to say I focus more on what to bring - beer, lobster, golf balls, my dogs, and a bizarre sense of humour!

bobrok
# Posted: 20 May 2014 12:48

Have you trained those dogs to tell when it's 5 o' clock so you can pop open the beer?

Jim in NB
# Posted: 21 May 2014 11:08

Depending on the weekend and who is visiting in can be either 5 am or 5 pm! A good buddy from college was down last June - we are both earlier risers - got up and had a coffee and got right into the red eyes. Shirley got up at 6am and wondered what the hell we were up to! LOL! Great times with great friends!
Clary__Shirley.jpg
Clary__Shirley.jpg

creeky
# Posted: 21 May 2014 18:56

I'll get up what ever time for a lobster that big. and i make a wicked black bean dipping sauce for seafood. hint. hint.

I guess I need tv for the jacque pepin cooking shows. the internet to stay in touch with family. and electricity for where the sun don't shine.

but in this somewhat mad time where every breathe is measured and many outside forces push and pull ... kinda nice to get out of bed and walk to the washroom in bare feet through wet grass and hear nothing but the songs of birds and the whisper of wind through the trees.

even if that wind is self generated and the whisper sounds a mite like the whirr of mosquito wings.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 21 May 2014 19:47

Flies, Mosquitos, ticks, interstates, speed limits, drunk drivers, stupid people, drugs, pedophiles, liers, rapists, murderers, thieves, poachers,
weather over 80F, weather under 0F, foreign cars, communism, 2 bit dictators, poverty, hunger, Sharia law, drones, global warming, global cooling, climate change, tsunamis, earth quakes, tornados, cities, welfare, social security, eminent domain, mortgages, Mcdonalds, Red Lobster, Starbucks, time zones, Halloween, hatred, racism, snakes, mocking birds, and weed eaters. I hope y'all don't think I'm being picky.

Salty Craig

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 21 May 2014 21:44

Quoting: Salty Craig
Flies, Mosquitos, ticks, interstates, speed limits, drunk drivers, stupid people, drugs, pedophiles, liers, rapists, murderers, thieves, poachers,
weather over 80F, weather under 0F, foreign cars, communism, 2 bit dictators, poverty, hunger, Sharia law, drones, global warming, global cooling, climate change, tsunamis, earth quakes, tornados, cities, welfare, social security, eminent domain, mortgages, Mcdonalds, Red Lobster, Starbucks, time zones, Halloween, hatred, racism, snakes, mocking birds, and weed eaters.

I think you missed 'politicians' but other than that I think it's a complete list. LOL!

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 23 May 2014 05:59

Living without debt is one of the best feelings ever. Yes, it's hard... Do hard things. It will make your life easier.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 24 May 2014 19:43

Bzzzzzt
I covered politicians with communism and 2 bit dictators!! Hahaha

Salty Craig

smallworks
# Posted: 19 Jul 2014 21:04

No TV in 40 years, can do without electricity (so far). Need the generator for personal and cabin projects. Would like water, but we're fine for now and no complaints.
Really, all we'd like is a place to be left alone. Simple. Or is it-?
Would eventually like hook up with people nearby.
We never too many material needs other than tools. If motorcyles are in that category, we have problems!

Leaf in the Wind
# Posted: 26 Jul 2014 08:44

That's an easy one. When I went off grid a few years ago I was not sure what things I would miss the most. Most of the things we think we cant live without were the easiest to forget. I for one lived without indoor plumbing, TV, cell phone, electric, a vehicle. I did not even have a generator, solar or anything like that. I used oil lamps, wood stoves to heat, and a fire pit to cook. My tools were all hand powered and the building tools were very simple, axes, hammer, hand drills, chisels, hand saws. The only thing that was really modern at the cabin was my chain saw, and I used that sparingly. One I didn't like the noise, and two, it was a 2.5hr hike into town and packing gasoline up the mountain is not a fun thing to do.
I lived this way for 3yrs+ and did not miss any of that stuff. I would still be living that way had the landowner not sold the property.
Great topic, thanks.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.