Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Generator gasoline leak- thoughts?
PA_Bound
# Posted: 3 May 2014 20:12

So I have a nearly brand-new Yamaha ef2000is generator. Last Saturday I used it for a few minutes to drive an electric chain saw in the back yard, after which I shut it down and carried it back to my garage.

I noticed on Sunday the garage smelled of gasoline. On Monday when the odor was really strong, I went searching and found that the generator was really leaking gas. It dumped about a half-tank, enough to saturate the bottom half of the shipping box it came in. I had not turned the fuel off before I stored it, but that's nothing new- since I use it frequently I don't usually turn it off. But when I did turn the fuel off, the leaking stopped.

I tore it down today and determined that the fuel was leaking into the air filter box via carburetor. I've run it for probably 30 hours before this without issue. Is there anything in particular that would cause this?

darz5150
# Posted: 3 May 2014 20:20

sounds like your float is sticking in the carb. Try shutting the fuel off and run the gas out of the carb next time. Actually if you don't use it that often, this will help to prevent the gas from gelling in the bowl of the carb.

Just
# Posted: 3 May 2014 21:00

change the oil in it before you run it again as you may have gas in the oil . that could burn out the bearings . if the oil level is over full it likely has gas in it .

old243
# Posted: 3 May 2014 21:25

Had the same thing happen with my rider mower. The cylinder and crankcase were full of gas. Got everything drained out, replaced the oil and filter. Then installed an in line filter and a shut off tap. Last fall I drained all the fuel and ran till motor stopped. Our Canadian gas quality has deteriorated . I now run premium gas without ethanol, in all my small engines, chain saw, weedeater. Costs a bit more , hopefully eliminate some problems. Our grass is just starting to green up, have to get the lawnmower out , and serviced. old243

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 3 May 2014 22:35

I had a simmilar problem with my Black Max generator. I replaced the fuel shut off valve with one readily available at a farm store nearby and it totally fixed the problem.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 May 2014 00:19

You always want to turn the fuel off when shutting it off. Honda used the engine shut off, doubles as a fuel shut off. Also the Honda has a carb bowl drain, you have to remove the service panel. This is a good idea for long term storage. But for shutting down, turn the fuel off and close the fuel tank vent cap.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 4 May 2014 18:26

Thanks for the guidance, everyone.

I just completed changing the oil as suggested by Just. The oil did not seem to have any gasoline in it, but that was a good suggestion (I've heard of that happening with motorcycles) and it never hurts to change the oil-even if unnecessary.

I'll also start turning the fuel off and running the carb dry before storing. Hopefully the issue won't happen again.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 4 May 2014 22:09

The problem is a stuck inlet needle in the carburetor float bowl. When the float bowl gets full the float is supposed to lift the inlet needle into the seat. A couple things that happen to stop this from working are a particle of dirt jamming the needle travel or a sunken float. Most small engine mechanics, simply replace the needle and seat assembly.

Owen

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 May 2014 22:15

Quoting: PA_Bound
I'll also start turning the fuel off and running the carb dry before storing. Hopefully the issue won't happen again.

Dont try to run the fuel out, you only get about 1/2 of it. If its in long term storage, you either want the carb full or completely empty. I'd bet the Yamaha also have a fuel bowl drain. Open the service cover, bottom of the carb, you will see the screw for the bowl drain. Should have a clear hose running outside the bottom of the chassis. With the fuel off, open that screw and let it all drain out. Close it off, set for long term storage. If its going to set more than 6 months, add Sta-Bil to the fuel in the tank.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.