Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Filling a catch basin with drain rock?
paulz
# Posted: 4 Jun 2014 00:28

The uphill dirt road to my cabin site has a switchback at a swail in the hill and I have an 18" culvert going under the road to drain water coming down the swail. There is a V shaped gulley at the entrance to the culvert, and I would like to fill it with something I could drive over so I can three point turn around but still have it drain through the culvert. I have a bunch of broken concrete I am thinking about filling the gulley with and possibly adding 3/4 crush on top to make it smooth enough to drive on.

Sound OK? Any better ideas?

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Jun 2014 00:32

I think eventually it will block up. Whenever water flows it will carry small stuff, even just a little silt. Things will get caught up, dirt laden water will slow and drop some of the dirt.

No better ideas that are cheap.

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Jun 2014 08:43

If you encase the drain rock in filter cloth it will slow the rate at which it fills with silt. Landscaping/ septic supply houses stock large rolls of filter cloth for such purposes. I can't visualize exactly what you are doing, but in general, the best way to deal with any grading issue is with grading that drains by default away from the affected area, rather than relying on some sort of drainage system that can clog (because it will). Sometimes this means getting equipment in there to move enough earth to do so, but it provides the best long term solution. Grading works best when it works with Mother Nature rather than against. The rain always wins. Got a plan view drawing of what you are trying to do?

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Jun 2014 08:45

Can you extend the culvert further up the swale, then backfill over it?

paulz
# Posted: 4 Jun 2014 10:45

It looks something like this.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/pwzell/tre_zps0dfc426e.jpg

Thanks, some good points. I think I could extend the pipe maybe 3 feet to the edge of the hill and back fill leaving about a foot wide ditch to the pipe.

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Jun 2014 15:57

Looks like you are limited with how far uphill you can extend it. Since you would have to cut into the hill. How about installing an iron drain grate, like street storm drains? Would have to be maintained, but you could drive over it.

Popeye
# Posted: 4 Jun 2014 20:34 - Edited by: Popeye

Steel bar grating would work well. May need to support it depending on the distance.

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Jun 2014 21:08 - Edited by: bldginsp

I was thinking install a 30 inch square drain box with grate that drains to the culvert, backfill around it, grade the area to drain into the box, and cover with gravel.

But I guess this doesn't account very well for a stream coming down the swale or ravine

paulz
# Posted: 4 Jun 2014 23:40

I've been thinking about a redwood grate made of 2x6s spaced 1.5" apart, sitting on pier blocks. Should be able to drive on that.

bldginsp
# Posted: 5 Jun 2014 09:20

Sounds doable if the 2x6s were bolted or otherwise secured together to prevent them moving.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.