Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Wood Bin Ideas
ClimberKev
# Posted: 17 Jun 2014 12:27

Anyone come up with a creative way to store kindling? I mean the odd shaped pieces of left over scrap like 2x4's etc. I'm thinking of building a bin with a hinged top.

bldginsp
# Posted: 17 Jun 2014 12:54

I've been thinking about building a wood storage cabinet under my woodstove, with the stove mounted on top about 30 inches high. It would be a space saver in my small cabin. Separate compartments for wood and kindling. Obvious potential danger is embers falling down onto the kindling and starting a fire. Anyone else mounted a woodstove up on a cabinet like this? Not sure, but I don't think the codes address this issue.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 17 Jun 2014 13:14

Not the best looking thing but as a Boy Scout we would use old freezers either on their back or the chest type. We disabled the latch so they wouldn't lock anything in. They kept wood high and dry. However at my cabin we built a woodshed that is elevated and open air with slats. My fresh split wood goes in there to season. It stays fairly dry and the wood gets adequate air circulation.

knock
# Posted: 17 Jun 2014 22:34

bldginsp - I am going to elevate my firebox off the floor on a shelf so I can store some wood underneath it.

It may be hard to see from the pick I attached since I am storing the chimney pipe in the opening.

Agreed, I don't think the codes address your concern. Maybe manufacturer's specs...
fireplace
fireplace

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Jun 2014 08:53

Growing up on a lake as a kid, we have a huge home and brick fireplace. The fireplace has a built in woodbox to the side, with its own door. And on the outside, another secure steel door where you would load the wood into.

SandyR
# Posted: 18 Jun 2014 11:48

I fill up bushel baskets and in the wood burning season there is one by the fire at all times with kindling. I like that the baskets have handles on them for bringing them up from the basement where they are stored.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 18 Jun 2014 12:01

To be honest I only keep a small amount of kindling inside the cabin. Any accumalation of wood inside the cabin is just too attractive for mice

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 18 Jun 2014 16:51

We keep our kindling in an old galvanized steel bucket found at a garage sale. We have a very rustic place so it fits in nicely.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 19 Jul 2014 00:57 - Edited by: KinAlberta

A couple weeks ago, I switched out our old wood box for a vertical metal frame that I'd saved from the steel roofed gazebo I bought last year (the gazebo parts came in big cardboard boxes with metal framing to hold it all together and protect it. I'm sure most people cut it up and landfill the containment frame but I started looking for uses for it.) When stood on end it looks like a skeleton of a tall bookshelf unit. It takes up far less floor space and surprisingly holds far more wood. Looks good too.

You could easily make a similar unit by reinforcing a old bookcase (likely knocking out the back), or just make your own vertical shelving unit or framework. Kindling could be contained with some netting.

People buying these gazebos might welcome the opportunity to give the packing frames away. Maybe post a message to Home Depots or Lowes forums where they rate and discuss these units.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.