Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Futon chairs-Can anyone give me a review?
rmak
# Posted: 24 Jun 2014 16:39

We are finally coming to terms with the smallness of our cabin. I measured and realize that I can't put a regular sofa futon like I had planned since as a bed it would be too close to the woodstove.

I was thinking about picking up a few of these. Does anyone use these or something like?

http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Futon-Lounger-Premium-Mattress/dp/B000BQNB0E/ref=sr_1_8 9?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1403091194&sr=1-89

bobrok
# Posted: 24 Jun 2014 18:58

I can't speak to your choice directly, but let me share my experience with futons. Yes, I love their versatility and we still use our broken sofa futon, BUT check to see what type of mechanism is behind it that makes it recline.
If you have a simple hinge and prop-type then you should have no trouble. Our sofa has a ratcheting, spring-loaded mechanism that has failed on one side from wear, and we don't even use it that much. We now just prop up the back against the wall for support. Of course the manufacturer is out of business and there is not a repair mechanism to be found. The teeth on this one are literally worn down and don't ratchet properly. Soft metal, perhaps, I don't know.
I'm planning to rip this mechanism out someday and put a hinge with a stick in place to support the sofa when in sitting position.
I hope this helps.
bob

rmak
# Posted: 25 Jun 2014 10:11

In the photo without the mattress it looks to have notches in the sides that I would guess progressively drop the back of the chair. The longevity of such a mechanism is an unknown to me.

The idea of having chairs that convert to beds for occasional sleepovers would kill two birds with one stone for me.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.