Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Dumping
Smawgunner
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 09:04

We have a "dry road only" county road through our property that you need a 4x4 to get up most of the time. Just found 45+ bags of trash and a mattress dumped off the side. Frustrating to say the least. Filed a report with the sheriff dept. I'm going to petition to close the road. Anyone have problems with illegal dumping?

Wilbour
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 09:27

Our property is on a paved road frequented by day tourists so we get plenty of bottles and coffee cups but that's it. As more and more towns clamp down on garbage pickups and charge more for said garbage this illegal dumping will only increase.

bobrok
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 12:16 - Edited by: bobrok

Seriously, if your up to the challenge, you go through said trash (with gloves and mask - just like on CSI) and you might just find out who owns it. Then you have just cause to take all sorts of actions.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 13:56

Quoting: bobrok
and you might just find out who owns it.

We actually did that and did find an address on an envelope. The Sheriff said they will follow up but without witness to who dumped it (license plate etc), there isn't much they can do unfortunately unless they confess.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 15:17

At least they left a RETURN address...

bobrok
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 16:51

If the sheriff is in the mood (read: willing to pursue what some in law enforcement might consider a trivial matter) he might inquire about the type of trash bags this suspect uses. Oh, and did they recently purchase a new mattress?
45+ trash bags plus bedding might be considered illegal dumping in your state and there could be lawful repercussions.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 17:51

I'd bring it back, but I'm a jerk. I've done it before with less evidence than you have. I looked them in the eyes and they confessed.

bobrok
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 17:59

You know, Owen, you are not a jerk for doing this. This would pi$$ me off so much that I likely would do the same thing. Biggest fear is repercussions. They didn't know whose land they dumped it on before, but they sure would if you confronted them. That troubles me in this day of "I just felt like killing somebody" (news headline today from USA Today)

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 21:02 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Fortunately the landfills will normally allow you to dump this for free, bring the police report. Same goes for being out in the woods and seeing trash, they will let you dump it for free, just for taking the time to pick it up. I know the labor and you time is valuable, but at least it wont cost you directly at the landfill.

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Jul 2014 09:30

oh man.that sucks.
makes it bad for everyone when people do that kind of stuff.
the worst i ever saw was when we were at camp last time.going down the backroads looking at cabins new people may have built.
what did we see? a 5 gallon bucket of poop.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.