Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / garbage?
cabingal3
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 14:07

what do u do with all your garbage when u live at your cabin?

Steve961
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 15:33

Since my cabin is mostly a weekend thing, I usually just bring it home with me. I do plan on getting a burn barrel setup someday which seems to be popular in my region.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 16:48

I either bring it home, or drop off the the local garbage collection facility on the way home.

naturelover66
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 19:44

Me too...bring it home ....or drop it off up there...

bobrok
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 20:08

We recycle everything (I'm talking even toilet paper rolls and paper clips) at home. At our transfer station near camp they accept only certain number plastics, and have other restrictions that make me cringe.
Why? Why? Why? I ask.
It's all economics and market driven.
Grrrrrr.
I tried lugging garbage home. Four hours in a stinky Jeep. Forget it. I burn what I can't donate now.

And I got rid of the Jeep.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 22:26

at my southern camp...fire pit in summer for paper/winter it goes in wood stove..aluminum goes to recycle....glass/trash takes a ride in back of the truck to my trash can.

northern camp.....everything goes to landfill...I pay one dollar for a decal that goes on my truck... good for a year...one stop...you pitch glass..plastic..metal ... cardboard...food scraps....then you back into 4 heated bays in winter for all other trash...the Planet Hollywood of land fills..lol

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 09:24

Quoting: turkeyhunter
..fire pit in summer for paper/winter it goes in wood stove..

Oh yes, that too - only what cannot/should not be burned goes into garbage.

hattie
# Posted: 29 Jul 2014 13:18

Where we live, we can pick up free garbage tags for the dump that is about 20 km away. We compost everything that can be composted. Recycle items are separated and paper is burned in our burn barrel (except when there is a burning ban). The rest of the garbage goes to the dump once a week. We need to go into town for groceries anyway, so it isn't a big deal to bring our garbage in with us.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 1 Aug 2014 14:07

We do have trash pickup, but we are never certain which day it comes for sure - so we separate recycle and garbage and bring it home.

I don't feel right burning things without a real necessity - as in for heat or energy. I see the black smoke and think of the kids and grandkids - so we don't burn our trash.

Austin351
# Posted: 1 Aug 2014 15:09

Burn what will burn and take the plastic / glass / metal back with me to recycle.

Bevis
# Posted: 1 Aug 2014 16:19

Take back home to let garbage man pick up, except for the aluminum gets taken to church so the kids programs can recycle to buy supplies.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 07:32

We take ours to the local drop off station. Unfortunately, the drop off station wants to have all recycling separated, which is a big deterrent to actually doing it. Who wants to have 4 bags in the kitchen: trash, plastic, glass, and cardboard/paper?

At home, we get to put everything in one recycle bin. Done.

I have not gotten a burn barrel yet, and am a little hesitant to do so. Would a burn barrel detract wildlife from coming around?

cabingal3
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 11:24

i am thinking of when we move to our cabin.
to not purchase things in containers or plastic stuff.how hard will this be?
i have lots of glass canisters to store rice,cornmeal,beans and such in.
sometimes though-u just cant get away from purchasing cans of food.
i guess when we go to town...we will take our little bits of garbage bagged up and to town to drop off.we have not checked this out yet as to what places there are to dump stuff.
thanks for all the info everyone.

hattie
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 12:52

cabingal3, you should stop by the nearest town hall and ask there. If they have a local dump, my guess is that you can get free tags that will allow you to use it. We weren't aware of it here until we asked at the town hall in the next town over.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.