Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Winterizing odd deep well instillation
yankeesouth
# Posted: 1 Aug 2014 08:43

I finally bit the bullet and had a submersible well pump system installed at my cabin. The problem is the pitless adapter (where the water splits to come into cabin) was installed above the frost line. Only about a foot down in the casing. The well head is outside and completely exposed to the elements. I thought about heat tape but I can't really get it that far down in the casing. (AKA... below the frost line.) I also thought about building a well house and installing a light bulb to heat the well but.......I do not get to the cabin enough over the winter to ensure the light stays on. All the drains for pressure tank and lines to cabin are not a problem.....I can get to those. What are my options for winterizing (draining the water to get below the frost line) for the well? Cabin is in Western PA so the temps get well below freezing for extended periods

If at all possible I really don't want to pull the pump.

Just
# Posted: 1 Aug 2014 09:06

a few bales of straw covering the well head would do it .

yankeesouth
# Posted: 1 Aug 2014 09:36

I heard about the straw idea. Is that based on the concept that the warmer air down in the well will rise to keep everything from freezing?

Just
# Posted: 1 Aug 2014 10:55

the earth around the well below frost depth is always about 50* if you insulate above the well the frost line will move higher in that spot and the earth will continually heat the well head. that's the same principal a ground source heat pump uses to capture heat from the earth . my water line at the cottage is only 8 in deep and 10 ft. long ! I cover it with garbage bags full of oak leaves , it has never frozen and i am in Canada .

yankeesouth
# Posted: 1 Aug 2014 11:51

Thank you my friend! That makes me feel a little better.

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Aug 2014 11:57 - Edited by: bldginsp

You could perhaps install a second pitless adaptor of the same brand/model as the one you have, without pulling the pump, then move the fitting from the higher one to the lower one. You would have to install the second, lower adaptor with the pipe and wires in place, if that is at all possible. What is your casing diameter?

But the insulation/straw bale solutions sound easier. Its just that if that fails, you have a broken pipe either before the adaptor or after it or both.

Seems to me that whoever installed the adaptor should have installed it below frost- that's the purpose of a pitless adaptor to begin with, to get the transfer point below frost without locating the well in a pit, which then creates a flooding/sanitation hazard. That installer should fix it. Of course, if that installer was you....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.