Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Ontario Building Code - decks?
CaptCanuck
# Posted: 5 Aug 2014 07:50

I want to build a large deck (20'x30') on fairly level ground at our lakefront property. With a bit of digging in a few areas I think I should be able to keep it within 24" off the ground.

The question is, if I keep it within 24" of the ground, do I need a building permit?

The following is from the City of Ottawa website:

Under the Ontario Building Code Act, a building permit is required for...a deck that is independent from the house and has a walking surface greater than 10 square metres (approximately 108 square feet) in area and its walking surface is more than 600 mm (24 in.) above the adjacent grade.

http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/laws-licenses-and-permits/building-and-renovating/what- projects-require-permits/projects-0

--

1. Am I interpreting this correctly that if I stay under 24", that no permit is required for a deck of any size?

2. Are all municipalities required to be consistent with the Ontario Building Code Act, or could my township have a whole different set of rules for deck building?

Thanks in advance for the help.

razmichael
# Posted: 5 Aug 2014 11:32 - Edited by: razmichael

I would suggest you check with your municipality as there can be different requirements for when a permit is needed - this is especially true dealing with waterfront. The permit may be more to do with location and/or type of material (as well as tracking for tax purposes) rather than confirming the design or construction. My cabin is in Quebec and there I need permits for everything - only they are very cheap and easy to get (through email or ten minutes at the office). As I mentioned, this has much more to do with making sure I am not too close to the waterfront or a property line, fit within the waterfront rules and do not use PT wood too close to the water etc. My $50 permit to build the cabin covered the same stuff and was never really inspected regarding the actual construction (to Quebec or national building codes - although it was). So, you may not need a permit to meet the building code but for other reasons.

Just noticed this disclaimer on the Ottawa site for things that do not require permits - "Note: Although a building permit may not be required, your project must still comply with the Ontario Building Code and any applicable law, such as the zoning by-law" Kind of a catch all.

Just
# Posted: 5 Aug 2014 11:48

In the pic the lower deck 12\24 under 24 in --- no permit ,, upper deck, built a year later [a different ASK] 96 sq. ft. no permit BUT" advice of " a 48 in. solid railing !!
at the lake
at the lake

CaptCanuck
# Posted: 6 Aug 2014 09:36

@Raz, good point about the zoning bylaws.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 6 Aug 2014 20:24

The way I read it is if the surface area is more than 10 square meters , you need a permit. But it is best to call your municipality and know for sure. Good Luck

CaptCanuck
# Posted: 6 Aug 2014 21:11

^yes I see how it could be read that way, it is ambiguous. I read it to mean that those three conditions needed to be met for a permit to be required, but that's likely wishful thinking.

CaptCanuck
# Posted: 8 Aug 2014 14:28

Would 4'x8' sheets of OSB screwed to pallets be considered a structure?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.