- Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Camp Chef
Wilbour
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 12:20

Has anyone used this Camp Chef stove?

http://www.campchef.com/stoves/two-burner-stoves/explorer-two-burner-stove.html

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 12:32 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

The builder who helped me build my cabin brought one. Its nice. HD, and heavy, but nice.

My neighbor brings a one burner one to my cabin all the time. He wants a 2 burner unit.

OK, being as my neighbor has always wanted this and he does lots of the cooking at my cabin, I saw your post, looked at one at Cabelas and seen it was on sale for $99, I bought it for him. I am about 20 minutes drive from Cabeleas.

I also have the flat griddle for one of the burnersa also. Makes it nice for hot cakes, grilled cheese sandwich etc.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp-Chef-Explorer-Stove/727834.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&se archPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Nt k%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcamp%2Bstove%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All% 2BProducts&Ntt=camp+stove&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Wilbour
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 13:28 - Edited by: Wilbour

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I am about 20 minutes drive from Cabeleas

You bought that from Cabeleas.com right?

the Canadian store has it for $180

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/37036/camp-chef-explorer-2-burner-propane-stove

But Canadian Tire has it for $140

Wilbour
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 13:33

When you figure the cost of a decent stove, stand and hose for your 20 pounder this is a nice stove.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 14:36 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Yes, regular price was $139, on sale for $99. Total cost for me was $108 (had to pay my states sales tax, no shipping as we will pick it up at the store)

Hey, can you order it from the US site, free shipping if you pick up at your local store. :D

I figured with our weak dollar, our stuff would be priced higher???
Canadians sure pay a lot more for stuff. I feel for you guys. Why is that? All taxes, duties????

Are you near the US border? Have buddies stateside?

Wilbour
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 14:50

We cannot order from Cabelas.com, just Cabelas.ca

My mother-in-law is in Syracuse, NY but would still have to pay shipping to her house and then there's the tank of gas to go from Ottawa to SYR.

If it's just to save a couple of $$ I would rather buy from Bricks and Morter local. Canadian Tire is realy good about taking faulty stuff back.

Or...... I have to find a neighbour like you who will buy it for me here!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 16:57

Wilbour, yes, buying from the local guys had advantage. If you were going to visit the MIL, then you could order it in advance, do a in store pick up (no shipping) as for the gas tank, it doesnt come with it. Just the stove. I wouldnt bring the tank down to use it in NY, bring the stove back to Ca to use it up there.

But its not worth it just for the stove alone. Do it with a normal mother in law visit, then while you are in the area....

Oh, get a Honda EU2000i also, seems they are also very spendy up in Canada.

Wilbour
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 17:10 - Edited by: Wilbour

Quoting: Wilbour
tank of gas to go from Ottawa to SYR

Sorry, to be more clear," one tank of gasoline for the car ride from Ottawa to SYR and back" not for the stove (oh, and $4 for "troll" bridge)

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
do a in store pick up

There does not seem to be a Cabelas near Syracuse

creeky
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 19:15

Gander Mtn has that stove on for 119. They're on the way to Syracuse on the 81.

Pretty nice looking stove. 30.000 btus. YIKES. The "fast boil" on my GE stove is only 15k.

You can ship to the UPS store in Ogdensburg for $5 ... and $3 bucks each way for the troll bridge.

Hour drive. Gas. But the wife might enjoy Walmart US, shopping, trip to the Remington Museum.

Wilbour
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 23:11

Quoting: creeky
But the wife might enjoy Walmart US, shopping,

Funny thing is my wife is an American and has become so canadian ized that she hates crossing the border. She would just assume revoke her US citizenship but not when it will cost us thousands of dollars, but that's a whole other thread.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.