Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / An interesting read for cabin owners and outdoorsmen
RiverCabin
# Posted: 22 Aug 2014 10:08

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit

I'm a bit undecided on my feelings about this story. As a cabin owner I would be pissed if my cabin had been broken into repeatedly over 27 years. On the other side I find it fascinating that he lived in the woods for 27 years and I believe, from reading the article and from my experience, that the man suffers from some disorder within the autism spectrum.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Aug 2014 11:37

this is a lovely read. i really liked his perception of "stillness." good find.

countrygirl
# Posted: 22 Aug 2014 16:58

Great read. 27 year alone in the woods, hard to believe its even possible. Great story thanks for sharing.

VC_fan
# Posted: 23 Aug 2014 08:42

I agree. The longest thing I've read online for quite a while but worth it. I need to dig around and see if there are any updates on him since he was forced to re-enter civilization.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 23 Aug 2014 13:33 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

I saw that he is working but it would not say where. Saw a quote maybe same article I don't know that his 7 months in jail was much harder than his 27 years in the woods. I'm pretty sure he won't be going back to jail.

hattie
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 01:44

Amazing article! Thanks for sharing it!!!

rmak
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 13:37

I recounted my own interaction with a hermit in the deep woods of Canada in the "Lone Wolf" thread. This happened when I was a kid more than a half century ago. Kind of the same thing surrounded him, stories and legends in the area. He didn't steal though.

I work with disabled kids. Autism has many forms. Some of the brightest people you might meet have a high functioning form called Asperger's Syndrome. I don't want to go off on a tangent, but Chris Knight's age and autism sound right. People never heard of autism much before that. It's just assumed by many it's a disorder caused by something in our environment.

bobrok
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 15:05

https://www.facebook.com/NorthPondHermit13

Now we can all be his friend and learn from him.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.