Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / New member
moregon
# Posted: 22 Aug 2014 10:17 - Edited by: moregon

HI All!!!

So glad I found this forum. I just paid off my purchase of 10 acres in southeast Oregon, so exciting! I'm planning a cabin next summer. Anyone have any feedback on cabin builders? I will have to pay for most of the construction as I don't do any of that. Eventually I will go off grid and then retire up there.

Looks like a lot of information on this site!

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Aug 2014 14:34

I think it's best to find the best local,builder you can who lives close by and is willing to take on a small project. Someone who lives far away is going to get frustrated with commuting. Good luck.

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Aug 2014 19:25

When?

How far south.....and east?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 22 Aug 2014 19:49

Yes, as bldginsp said find a local builder who like to build cabins.
Good luck, I've been asked twice this week to come and build in OR. from MN.

moregon
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 15:09

@ GaryO property is 30 miles north of Beatty, Oregon. I've already had a surveyor out, gave me 3 possible locations for the cabin.

I'm thinking of a Trophy Amish Cabin and outhouse. The guy was really nice, price is right and set up is part of price of cabin. I'm not looking for fancy, just a large main room with a loft.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 19:15

Welcome aboard , you can get fantastic ideas on this site if you need any. Have fun in your adventure ! Shady Acres

cabingal3
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 06:38 - Edited by: cabingal3

welcome moregon.
good for u.
me and Gary O have a property down your way .we love it so.
ours is more crater lake area.
enjoy.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 14:09

Welcome aboard moregone.

Take a peek on members projects. I have never built a cabin before, always wanted one. I have mine under thread "my project" http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_431_0.html

This was my first real build. Pulled the permit myself too. I sub'd out the concrete and metal roof tin. I did hire a pro to work side by side with me in framing and sheeting it, inside and out. I did all the rest myself ie wiring, finish work, installing cabinets, stone work, counters, flooring, trim, stove, paint...

Was a great learning expereince and I no longer need a pro framer to help me. He explained everything along the way, teaching, not just building. I paid him $40 an hour and fed him. His cost ended up being just under $3000.

You will find everything you need in here to complete you cabin dream. We have a half dozen very savvy builders with enginner minds too, they can look over your plans etc and give advice etc.

moregon
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 21:26

Thanks so much! I'll check it out.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.