Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / New guy, checking in.
Dogleg
# Posted: 11 Jun 2010 01:20

Since I've been hanging around a bit, I thought I may as well say "Hi".
The idea of a self-built shack in the bush has appealled to me for awhile, and I have 3 different properties that had some potential. None are ideal, but one 160 acre piece and a 480 chunk could work. The one quarter is where I've built my 800 yard rifle range and is to be the first project.
What I had in mind is a learning project, basically a 8 x 12' "shooting shack" with 12 volt lights, a wood stove, hide-a-bed and folding cot, counter space for reloading cartridges and a portable benchrest that would double as an eating table. It would serve as a warm-up shack for snowmobileing, a bed for the night while hunting and a repository for shooting gear. There is a very real possibility of loading ammo and shooting out the window in the winter time, then checking targets with a sled.
I made the mistake of mentioning the idea to my brother, who amoung other things cleans up construction sites. A steady stream of dimension lumber started showing up at my place so I spent a day building the 2 x8" floor and 4, 2 x 6' walls on my deck in town. A friend volunteered his flat-deck trailer to haul the panels out to the site, or it would have been built on site. He donated 3 windows that were taking up space too, and insulation will also be free left over construction material.
So far I've only spend money on decking blocks, nails and a few sheets of plywood. I don't know exactly how it will be finished, but the theme is definitely low to no buck.
Any ideas on a quick and easy method of insulateing the floor? I'm thinking foam insulation but ideas would be appreciated.

Dogleg

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 11 Jun 2010 16:05 - Edited by: MikeOnBike

I'm building two 10x12 sheds and I have decided that foam is too expensive but fiberglass bats are too difficult to protect from critters.

Common protection methods for fiberglass is 1/4" hardware cloth or 1/4"-1/2" plywood or OSB with some small holes poked into it to vent any moisture. I have also seen where someone used a skilsaw to cut 8-10" kerfs in the sheeting that allowed ventilation but was still too small to allow most insects in.

I haven't decided yet.

I settled on 10x12 instead of 8x12 because I felt that for just a little more money it would be much more usable space. I do not have the surplus lumber flowing in like you do and I suspect most of it is 8' long.

Dogleg
# Posted: 13 Jun 2010 05:28

I can easily get enough OBS or plywood for nothing to protect bat insulation, but the free thing is only fun if it doesn't lead to a headache. I guess a few sheets of foam won't break me. :)
You are right that most of the free lumber is 8 footers, or more exactly, stud length. There is quite a bit of longer stuff as well, and enough OBS that I asked him to quit bringing it, at least for now. The theme seems to be if it got the least bit of dirt on it, it goes to garbage.
My brother was joking that he was throwing away enough material to build a house, it's beginning to seem like that was true. The joke has turned into building a shed to keep the lumber in.
This little project is a least partially to learn a bit about building in panels, and assembleing on site.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.