Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Small cabins in thermally strategic locations instead of a house?
vandersysml
# Posted: 18 Sep 2014 11:01

It's been a while since I've posted anything on here, so hi everyone! It's been fun seeing all of your projects. So, I have this dream, and I'm wondering if anyone is currently living this lifestyle or plans to:

I don't have a big house now, and houses aren't important for me or my wife. We both like small houses, and we LOVE our small (10X16) cabin in NW Arkansas. When I retire from the Air Force, we would like to build a summer cabin up North somewhere (Maine, Montana, who knows) and a winter cabin either in Arkansas or farther South. We could live in these in the best times of year for weather, and use very little energy heating and cooling.

I know the obvious concerns - work, etc., but I will be drawing an Air Force pension (thanks taxpayers ) and hopefully adjunct teaching college online for additional income. Am I crazy, or is this feasible? Does anyone who does this know of any problems I should be aware of? Things like state tax laws and residency issues concern me most. I also have 12 years until I can retire, so lots of time to plan and dream. Thanks for all of the info ya'll always provide. It's great to have a forum here with like-minded people.

ret_army
# Posted: 18 Sep 2014 13:15

vandersysml:
Long time lurker here - I just signed up. As you mentioned, states that do not tax military retirement pay, or have no income tax, should be at the top of the list - absolutely. That would be the number one initial concern for me, anyway. I am retired Army (1974-1994, 20 years and 2 days active duty), and am blessed to receive the monthly check... Remember, though, you are earning/have earned it - it is not a hand out. When you join the retired rolls, you have a change of duty status only, and can be recalled to active duty at any time by the appropriate authority. Not only that, while you were on active service you wrote a blank check, for payment up to and including your life, for your country and its people.

I think if you can swing it your plan is a good one!

John

Malamute
# Posted: 18 Sep 2014 18:46 - Edited by: Malamute

I live in the northern Rockies and heat with wood in my 14x18 cabin. I think you'd spend more money to travel to your other place in Ark than you'd spend just getting wood in and staying. I get slabs from a small sawmill for my firewood, they are fine for my Blaze King stove, other mills sell slabs pretty cheaply, or you can get a firewood permit for about $5/cord from the Forest Service. I think I use about 2 1/2-3 cords per year.

Im not so far from the southwest that I cant drive down and camp and visit friends for a while in the middle of winter, though I haven't done it in a long time. I don't think I want to own a place there though. Maybe just get a decent camper and be comfortable for the month or two I'd be gone.

You can camp in National Forest in undeveloped places for 2 weeks at a time, then you have to move to reduce the impact on the area. Developed campgrounds, in or out of National Forest charge fees. I never stay at places like that. Some people like them because they have some amenities though, like an outhouse and maybe a water supply. I'd rather be out in the woods.

BTW, living in a small space isn't quite as much fun after the first couple years, I strongly suggest leaving yourself some easy ways to add on to your primary cabin. I'm going to double the main footprint, and add a 6x12 office/study, and a 6x14 sunroom/greenhouse on the opposite end. It may be comfortable over the long term at that point.

Spending short periods in a small place doesn't really prepare you for living in it full time in my opinion.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 18 Sep 2014 19:00

I've thought about this too. A northern and southern place. I'd worry about the unoccupied place.

vandersysml
# Posted: 19 Sep 2014 10:31

Thanks for the replies! and ret_Army you're definately right about this
/quote "Remember, though, you are earning/have earned it - it is not a hand out" /quote

I am glad/proud to serve but I could definately do something that paid more and didn't require me to go off to God-forsaken desert wastelands and leave my family for months at a time. It sure does make me appreciate the life I'll have when it's over!

Ya'll have definately given me some things to think about, especially living in small spaces. I don't think I could actually live full time in my 10 X 16 cabin, but our house is 950 sq ft, and we have 2 kids. When they're grown and gone, I could see downsizing to 500-600 sq ft pretty comfortably, especially if the location is nice.

As far as taxes go, it seems that all of the cool places to own land/build a cabin are merciless! Arkansas, a full-blown wellfare state (no offense, I still love it) taxes EVERYTHING. You even have to pay a personal possession tax on any assets you own every year, whether you live in the state full-time or not. They're also one of only two states that tax federally tax-exempt combat pay! Maine, on the other hand just has one of the highest state income tax rates in the country.

I'm not tied to any particular state or even region. If anyone has ideas for a tax efficient state where I can obtain land without spending a million bucks, let me know!

Malamute
# Posted: 19 Sep 2014 12:34

vandersysml, send me an email.

I think you're on the right track with a 500-600 sq ft place, a smaller one gets very small, even with one person. I've ended up building outbuildings to be able to have some storage, and some workspace on projects I like. Both aren't that big of a deal in and of themselves, except to use the work space, you end up having to heat it in the cold periods, and it can end up being storage space, so then you build more space for storage to reclaim your shop space,....

My 16x22 cabin was way easier to live in. I had storage in the crawl space, and could do some projects on the porch or kitchen table, but a shop would have helped a lot. Small spaces are nice for shorter periods in my take on it after living pretty small for most of the past 15 years.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.