Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Curious...how many members rent out their cabins?
Tarmetto
# Posted: 25 Sep 2014 18:40

We have considered renting our (future) cabin out as a vacation rental from the get-go. We'd be very selective...as in friends...and friends of friends, and build a client list from that. This is a way for our build to more or less pay for itself.
Ours might be unique, since it will be on a lake, and more or less in a recreational neighborhood.
If our idea works well, then we'd build a second cabin on our other lot (next door) and do the same.

beachman
# Posted: 25 Sep 2014 19:12

If you''re in Canada, watch the GST on short-term rentals as it will taint the property for a future sale. We don't rent due to potential liability reasons and too remote and complicated for most people.

naturelover66
# Posted: 25 Sep 2014 19:24

I would never rent out my cabin.... Never. No one loves that place like I do.

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Sep 2014 20:10

No way I'd rent our cabin to strangers. We own rental properties, condos. Some people who rent turn into irresponsible jerks once they've signed the lease. Not all, but some do. Enough that I would never rent out cabin.

We do have a couple of highly trustworthy friends who we trade with They can use our cabin when we are not there if they ask us. In turn we can use a property they own in CO. That works well for all of us.

Another reason I would never rent the cabin to virtually anyone else is that it is remote. It is not visible from any public road or trail. No sense exposing it to who knows what might come after renting out to a stranger. If it ever comes to needing the money a rental might bring I'd sell something else before renting it.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 26 Sep 2014 19:44

Not a chance. But I do have a bunch of free loading friends!!

Salty Craig

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 26 Sep 2014 20:33

My place has too many idiosyncristies to let people use the place without some prior knowledge of things. I'm ok with that. If people don't have a vested interest in the place besides a rental fee, they don't care enough!

MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Sep 2014 21:02

I have a printed cabin user manual complete with photos with arrows and circles. That helps the few other users with what must be done and how things work.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 22:13

Quoting: MtnDon
I have a printed cabin user manual complete with photos with arrows and circles. That helps the few other users with what must be done and how things work.

I like that idea MtnDon. We have a family as friends and I would let them use our cabin at any time without question but I have been wondering how I will "train" them on cabin use such as how to work the shower, how to use the battery bank, solar, fridge etc.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Oct 2014 00:18

I'll be living in mine full-time so that won't happen. However, if the show "Fat Guys in the Forest" want to pay me to set the fat guys loose on my land to see if they can make it, that would be fine. As long as they don't have to edit out scenes of the guys knocking on my door in the middle of the night for matches, food, or water OR, heaven forbid, trapping and eating my guinea fowl!

I think it would be risky to rent out a remote cabin, even to friends, wouldn't it? You'd have to make sure it and you were well-insured, just in case! People are capable of all sorts of stupid and accidents do happen!

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Oct 2014 16:29

never.its our dream .

larry
# Posted: 23 Oct 2014 20:16

that is like renting out your wife...or husband.

Truecabin
# Posted: 25 Oct 2014 01:28

i think about it, look thru the area rental cabins to see what would be my competition if i was in the mix

no rental cabin compares. but im way biased, also so far out in the boonies nobody would come

in reality i could never do it

hattie
# Posted: 25 Oct 2014 02:00

When we decided to move up to our cabin full time, we built a three room motel onto our cabin (there is a courtyard that separates us from the motel). We knew we would need some extra income. We are also out in the boonies and we are surprisingly busy. The old adage "build it and they will come" is very true.

I think it is one thing to rent out rooms when you are living on site and another to rent out your cabin when you aren't there. I would never recommend renting out when you aren't on the premises. Even if your place is absolutely perfect and pristine, there are some who will abuse it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.