Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Fixing corner posts to concrete footing
Francois
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 22:42

Very interesting forum being able to tap into your experience.

I want to build a patio with big logs and am wondering how I will fix the corner logs being vertical, to the concrete foundation. I am a little bit concerned that a gust wind might lift the construction and am thinking that I will have to fix the construction somehow to the concrete. The patio will be 6m x 6m ( he he South African measurements) with 3 vertical logs on each side bearing two 7m logs with a trussed roof and metal covering. Since there will be no walls, the patio will be open making it easy for wind to lift.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

Don_P
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 23:07

And easy for the roof in the wind to overturn the posts. If the posts are braced to resisting overturning then preventing them from sliding is the concern.

Mortise in angled knee braces or embed steel in the post to beam joint of sufficient size to prevent that 90 degree angle from becoming something other than 90.

An upright steel plate embedded into sufficient concrete to resist uplift that is also embeded into a slot bored into the bottom of the post. The base of the log is then bored horizontally thru the log, the plate and ther log and steel rods are driven through. The steel can be shorter than the log diameter and wood plugs cap the rod holes. That connection would also resist sliding.

Francois
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 23:50

I am going to put in some bracing between the posts and ring beam. Your idea sounds ideal and am going to ponder on it. Never thought about the sliding effect.

I knew I would get some ideas from experienced log homers.

Thank you very much

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.