Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Howdy
Fallen Timbers
# Posted: 23 Jun 2010 12:14

Just found this forum through a link on "The Tiny House Blog". I feel like I found my tribe or something!

I started building a tiny log cabin back in March and have been journaling my experience on House of Fallen Timbers. My goal is to build a small log cabin using only dead trees and found materials for as little money as possible.

Attached are some photos from my project. I have no experience and the first thing you will notice is that I did a very poor job of building a foundation that will last more than a few years.

I understand now that to build a more permanent structure I would need a much more substantial plan for the foundation but thats OK.

It's a great form of exercise and I'm having a ball building this thing! It may not last more than a year or two but it isn't costing me much of anything and I'm learning from my mistakes. Maybe when this one is finished I'll get serious and spend a couple hundred bucks to build one that will last a few decades.

Anyway, wanted to introduce myself and share my blog and photos. Hope you enjoy them and hope to make some new friends on the forum.
Foundation and floor.
Foundation and floor.
Salvaged decking
Salvaged decking
First split log
First split log
First piece of porch furnature
First piece of porch furnature

lawnjoky
# Posted: 23 Jun 2010 14:52

I found a similar cabin in New Mexico at a place I grouse hunt. It was just there suddenly in a plce I had walked through just a couple of weeks before. It was made of blown down aspen logs. They cut notches in the underside of the logs where the crosses the layer underneath. My understanding is they do it that way so not to trap water and cause rot. By notching they reduced the gap that had to be clinked, chinked or whatever the term is for pound in split wood to fill the gap. Once that was done the caulked any small gaps with moss. The roof was framed up from smaller log and was covered with pine boughers, a layer of plastic and then more pine boughers. The cabin had a window, wood stove and hinged door. It was probably built by elk hunters. When I retuned a year later it was in disrepair.

Jocko

Fallen Timbers
# Posted: 23 Jun 2010 15:13 - Edited by: Fallen Timbers

I bet your right about the elk hunters. There is an old deer hunters cabin near where I live that was built from a reconditioned railroad car. It looks pretty ragged. I would have enjoyed seeing the one you came across.

Fallen Timbers
# Posted: 1 Sep 2010 15:00 - Edited by: Fallen Timbers

Just wanted to share the latest photo from the House of Fallen Timbers, walls are up and roof is on!
Front
Front

hilltop
# Posted: 3 Sep 2010 19:58

Looks great !

suprapike
# Posted: 22 Nov 2010 01:31

have the same goal unfoutunatly no property yet so i need to build camp on crownland hope fully soon anyway i here ya on the tribe goood luck try renocompanys we toss so much wood its not funny

suprapike
# Posted: 22 Nov 2010 01:37

beautiful your next one will be awesome

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.