Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Some Poetic Firewood Advice
rmak
# Posted: 27 Oct 2014 17:04

I was reading a topic here about tree identification and how different woods might burn, and I thought of this poem I read long ago. You can really find just about anything on the internet. From heating with wood for 20 years or so, I can say a lot of this is true, particularly elm wood. It sucks.

The Firewood Poem by Lady Celia Congreve

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said Hawthorn
bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But ash wet or ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.

creeky
# Posted: 27 Oct 2014 17:35

Birch is nice if you want a lively popping fire for when guests are over.
Ditto for apple/pear. You will spend your entire day either hungry or eating. But nice for parties.
Ash rules. I have two ash trees ready for winter.

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Oct 2014 18:17

IMO, the best firewood is that which is found locally and is priced reasonably, splits well and is properly dried before use. Never did get the hang of poetry in school.

In my ideal firewood world I'd select scientifically using info from a chart like this one. And all the really high heat value wood would grow on my land. There are other charts that cover other specific areas better.

But my world is not perfect so I am happy with the wood that is local to me; aspen and ponderosa pine. Both are plentiful and free for the work as they come from our own land. Both are low on the list of BTU/cord. I have no trouble splitting them and I have enough to cover the next winter+, already dry stacked and waiting under shelter. Anything we cut later this year is for next winter.

rmak
# Posted: 27 Oct 2014 18:56

Quoting: MtnDon
did get the hang of poetry in school.

Ha, ha! I agree. I burn just about anything I can lay my hands on. If the winter is long and I'm getting low, I've used some pretty crappy stuff. I don't burn pine or fir in the wood burners. I save it for camp fires.

I really do like that chart you linked. The only one I don't understand is why cherry only gets a good rating and not excellent. All the stats look great. Around here, cherry is a premium. Everyone want it for their fireplaces.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.