Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Installing a wood stove thru a concrete block wall.
Bluehunter40
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 17:53

Greeting all!
I have just acquired a small house 600 sq ft
The living space 300sq ft has block walls all the way around.
Anyway I have a wood stove I would like to install. There little fire concern (I think) as the walls and floor are concrete.
Question is: to install pipe thru the wall, do I need that $450 kit, or can I just bust a hole in the block and run my pipe?
I have a stove from Rome GA, they called it a Franklin and its old, but was well cared for and is 95% at worst.
My place is in Citrus County Florida, it's not like the old place in NW GA but for example it will be in the high 30's this weekend.
Thanks for any advice
Tim

Malamute
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 21:36 - Edited by: Malamute

Local code or your insurance may have an opinion, but if it doesn't have any combustible material in the wall, it should be doable for less than $450 to get through the wall.

A true concrete hammer drill (like a Bosch SDS type) will drill through it like swiss cheese. Most rental places have them if you don't own on. Makes an annoying job go faster.

I make a circle of holes, use the chisel tip to connect them and clean up the hole. Goes pretty well most of the time.

Bluehunter40
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 21:43

Ya I'm not too worried about code, this art of Florida in real country. Where I live in Palm Beach County, you can't do anything without a permit.
I'm just not sure how to do it as far as piping and all. I know I need to run the pipe 4' above the roof, and I'm guessing I still need the tee pipe at the connection going up, and I guess double wall would be wise going throug the wall. I assume a damper as well. I just don't have any Experiance at all with wood stoves, in south Florida, cold means I water socks. In north Florida it gets to freezing often in winter, ths is a little early but still I like the idea of a wood stove.

Don_P
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 22:10

I'd just install a clay thimble through a neat hole and run it all in single wall for an older stove in that climate. 2' above the ridge or the closest point within 10' is the minimum height.

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 22:41

Is the roof structure wood? Are you planning to penetrate the wood roof structure at the eave outside the wall? Whenever a woodstove chimney is near wood you need to be very cautious, obviously. I'm thinking that if you need to deal with penetrating the wood eave anyway, why bother punching a hole through concrete, just run the chimney thru the ceiling and roof with a standard double or triple wall chimney.

Running thru the wall with a horizontal section could create draft problems. A straight, vertical chimney works best.

Bluehunter40
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 00:12

I'm gonna chech that out, yes roof has wood but it's a metal roof.

Bluehunter40
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 00:18

I picked up a kerosene heater today, an American Wick 2230. With a spare wick, for $20. Yard sale. Northern folks move to south Fla and bring the heaters then sell them cheap.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.