Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / NEW WOOD SPLITTER
brokeneck
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 13:47 - Edited by: brokeneck

NEW 22 TON LOG SPLITTER -- HOW FUN IS THAT ..
WOOD.jpg
WOOD.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 18:14

A nice new toy, and it ain't even Christmas yet

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 4 Nov 2014 12:52

I wish you were my neighbour ..lol

Mtnviewer
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 01:18 - Edited by: Mtnviewer

I recently got a 5 HP electric splitter & stand from Princess Auto & WOW, I am impressed & relieved as it's saved me a TON of whacking with the Fiskar splitting maul & a ton of energy to do other things! I haven't run into any rounds that it can't split. Some gnarly knotted rounds might need 2 tries but 99% of the rounds, green or dry only need one run through. I've run through about 4 cords worth now of all sorts of rounds, usually about 18-20" long, green & dry. Everyone that has seen it & tried it has been equally impressed. One guy even had a heavy duty hydraulic splitter.

I've put through rounds 18" across x 18+" long & again no problem. In my area, it's mostly birch, spruce, pine, cedar, hemlock, poplar, or cottonwood. I use it all.

I paid $255+taxes, on sale, for the splitter & stand. I highly recommend getting the stand but it works just fine lower to the ground but requires more bending by me then. I like the Princess Auto model better than the King brand from Costco Canada, which a friend got.

I looked through some YouTube videos first & was thinking I needed something larger, like a 9-22 ton hydraulic splitter, but on YouTube those larger splitters didn't seem to be any faster than this 5HP splitter but maybe could split REALLY hardwood or longer pieces than we have in our area or that would fit in my BlazeKing stove?

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 11:12

^Nice score! That splitter is officially on my radar. Got to love Princess Auto. I am like a kid in a candy store when I get in there.

brokeneck
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 14:27

Yeah i considered the electrics but my father in law really wanted the gas and since he was buying it ..

Smawgunner
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 18:45

Jealous

beachman
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 18:54

I got a Yardworks 4 ton electric a couple of years ago and I agree with Mtnviewer, they are really awesome. I have split a ton of wood and it has worked great. I use it off the generator at the cottage and it really works well. I had the unit without the stand for the first year but got tired of the constant bending and it is well worth getting the stand.

Mtnviewer
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 23:03

Yes Princess Auto can be a fun place, but I try to buy only stuff that is on sale as I've learned that EVERYTHING there eventually goes on sale, sometimes several times a year. If it's full price I won't buy it & will just wait. Thankfully it's rare that I have to have something NOW & have to pay full price & it really hurts to see it at 50% off a few weeks later.

That was the case with the woodsplitter & stand. I would not have bought either at full price but happened to walk in & it was greatly reduced in price. Plus 2 strangers walking in also vouched for it's capability while I stared at it & tried to justify taking a chance on it even while on sale.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.