Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Warming outdoor tank water
jace
# Posted: 4 Nov 2014 10:01

We have a 275 gal. tote that collects rain water that we use for showering etc. We heat it with one of the ecotemp L7, I believe tankless heaters. During the winter months the water does not get very hot due to the tank water being so cold. Has anyone had any experience with a solar blanket of some sort, to through over the tank during the winter.
I was hoping to be able to just get it out when we arrive, throw it over the tank and have it be able to warm up the water a few degrees by next night. I thought about just recirculating the water for a awhile but that would waste a lot of gas. Any other suggestions ?

Thanks

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Nov 2014 10:32

Can the tank be buried underground? That would keep it at a stable temp. Drawback, summer, it would be cooler. Unless you get a second tank for summer water, paint it black to keep out UV and absorb solar heat to keep it nice and warm.

jace
# Posted: 4 Nov 2014 13:24

can't be buried, too rocky. I have the tank painted a dark brown. Wondering how an aquarium heater would work ?

Thanks for the help

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Nov 2014 13:52

Or get a higher capacity water heater that will raise the temperature of the cold water more. Each model of tankless water heater is only capable of a certain amount of temperature rise, some more, some less, and most if not all are capable of some degree of adjustment to keep it from getting too hot.

drb777
# Posted: 4 Nov 2014 14:02

I've used a L5 (37,500 btu) at 32 F water temp (ice floating in the tank) in an unheated enclousure and it was just barely OK for a quick winter shower as long as I kept the flow restriction valve at a minimum. And since the L7 is a 41,000 btu rated unit, I think it would be acceptably hot/warm in a heated room (w/ the rate restricted to the minimum). So are you sure your flow rate is set to the minimum allowed that keeps the heater burning? If so, you might check to make sure that the burner is clean and there aren't any restrictions in the gas flow. I have more than once found spider nests & mud inside LP hoses, sure messed-up the heater functions until it was found removed. Good luck.

jace
# Posted: 5 Nov 2014 10:11

drb777, I double checked and it is an L5. In winter have to keep the flow at lowest and heat on highest. Spring, summer, and most of fall is no problems, just winter because the source water temp is too cold, so just looking for simple ways to warm up the water in the tank a little. I may rob my sons aquarium heater this weekend and see if it does anything. I'll double check the lines also.

Thanks for the help

drb777
# Posted: 5 Nov 2014 13:19

OK, I would agree that the L5 is very marginal when the water temp approaches 32 degrees. I think you'll find that any attempt to pre-heat will be quite difficult. But I could see one using a small re-circulating pump to preheat a batch back to say a 5 or 10 gal accumulation tank. 'Just not too sure it would be any better than simply switching to a higher BTU unit, as bldginsp recommended. When I finished-out my recent cabin-build, I installed a FV112 NG 74,000 btu that has plenty of capacity(see photo). Actually, eccotemp now offers pre-heaters;
http://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-ep-2-4-electric-tankless-water-heater-booster/
but the high electric draw would make them impractical for many applications. If you try to heat-up a large tank, I think you'll find it takes way too much BTU capacity than is practical. Good luck.
Eccotemp FV112 NG
Eccotemp FV112 NG

rayyy
# Posted: 5 Nov 2014 17:08

I now use an L7 for this very same problem.My L5 could bring 32 degree water up to about 80 degree's shower water at best.The L7 does the job but it's strange draw back's are the flame always goes out 10 seconds into the shower,,,yikes.I have to shut it off and re-start it every time.Also the two dials for water flow and gas flame tend to seize up if you don't turn them up and down often.And last complaint about an L-7,it has no on/off switch.I like that feature on my L-5 just to rinse the tub out with cold water.But an L-7 can bring 32 degree water up to 100 degrees for a hot shower.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.