Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / container
cabingal3
# Posted: 6 Nov 2014 13:08

we got a 20 foot container for free from hubbys work.
now we have to have it hauled 250 miles thru the mountains in winter time.
does anyone now how much this kind of thing cost and can they haul it in winter to our woods?
do u pay for gasoline plus the haul?
we are so happy cause its in perfect shape and we needed one for storage out at the cabin.
thanks for any insights u have on this.

JJHess
# Posted: 6 Nov 2014 13:25

$1 - $10,000. Hard to say since there are no other details.

Check with a towing company with a rollback or tilt-deck trailer. Around here we pay $75/hr from when they leave their shop until they return.

bldginsp
# Posted: 6 Nov 2014 21:48

Here in California there are numerous businesses that specialize in the sale and moving of containers. Must be some in your area. They have the equipment and know how. Whether they want to go out to a rural property in rain and snow, that's another question

cabingal3
# Posted: 6 Nov 2014 22:56

ok.thanks so much.
the mister came home with a brilliant idea.
he said we will get it hauled here in town to our home.there is gated security here where u can put things like this container.we will load it up with all our stuff.then come spring have it hauled down to our property.gosh.it would be great at 75$ a hour JJHess. pretty reasonable.it takes us about 5 hours to get to our land.so thats not too bad.thank u for your info.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Nov 2014 08:58

Cabingal, you want to add some vents around the top, also, they get hot and will sweat in the summer sun. While the container is at home, good time to have a metal box welded in place that wraps over the padlock. Makes it almost impossible for someone to cut the lock off. I am thinking of the same deal. I would like to leave my quad behind and other items. Ideally, would to bury the thing in dirt, above ground, but covered in a mound of dirt. Keep it cool year round. Keep us updated on it. I know they come in 10, 20, 30 40 and 50 feet long. If I find a company selling one, I will have them deliver it also to its final resting spot.

bldginsp
# Posted: 7 Nov 2014 10:22

I researched containers for use as a garage, but concluded not to get any. They have moisture problems like Toyota said, but also they are not permanent, they will rot out unless you build a roof over them.

That said, people do all kinds of things with them, and the companies that supply them here will cut them to any length for you, install roll up doors, windows, all kinds of stuff.

But I thnk they are best for just what they were made for- storage and transport- with the understanding that 20 years from now you'll be looking at a rust perforated sieve. Cabingal has the right idea.

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Nov 2014 00:13

thanks so much toyota_mdt_tech and bldginsp!
i have read your good advice and i know hubby knows all this stuff...but i am so ignorant on this that i dont even know what to ask him.so now i have a grounding place to know whats going on with container and what we need to do.
will keep u posted.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.