Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / cellular (not wifi) monitoring
bobrok
# Posted: 14 Nov 2014 14:15

I thought I'd try this topic here because, although there are probably other more dedicated forums to discuss this, I trust the information I read here and the folks who post it.

Is there a way to use an old smartphone, or purchase a camera if necessary, to use 3G or 4G cellular service to send photos to another phone, or to a cloud account? This is to monitor an area where there is cell coverage but no wifi available. I don't need a constant data stream of photos, but would ideally like to have the ability to check once or twice a day for activity.

All ideas welcome, and thanks up front!

Popeye
# Posted: 14 Nov 2014 14:41

There are many companies that make wireless trail cameras. I believe all of the cameras use AT&T for wireless service. The camera will send you a text message as soon as it takes a picture. I don't have any yet so I won't make a recommendation. A trusted site for trail camera reviews is Chasingame.com.

leonk
# Posted: 15 Nov 2014 09:18

right. Never used one, but AFAIK you take a camera, put a sim card in it, and voila.
Cheap(er) cams can be found at www.aliexpress.com (direct shipping from China). Make sure you understand what you buy and like the reviews, it's basically no returns service.

razmichael
# Posted: 15 Nov 2014 09:58 - Edited by: razmichael

A number of companies make cellular based outdoor cameras, including bushnell Bushnell Trophy Cam Wireless . These are not cheap ($500 range) and the big thing to watch for is what kind of payments are tied to them for the data. Bushnell uses AT&T - they note that the first 30 stills are free but after that??? Same problem with any Aliexpress camera - compatibility and data plan costs are the thing that will add up - not the camera cost. The other problem with these types is that each one needs it's own data plan (as far as any I have seen) so as soon as you need more than one you may be better off looking for either wired or wireless lan based infrastructure so you can centralize the cellular connection.

Lots of ways to set up some sort of wireless Lan with a cellular connection. First question would be do you want to use this for other things at the cabin as well? If so, you might be less inclined to hack something together with a old cell phone and check you local providers for 3G/LTE modems and data plan. This would then provide your local network for all your cameras. and any other internet needs. As most of these modems also have wired ports you can use wired cameras as well. This could also be done with an old laptop and one of the available "sticks". The laptop provides the local wireless network. A bit more tricky to set up but not really difficult. A cell phone with the capability to provide a wireless hot spot would do the trick as well (but you need to determine what rules the carrier has on tethering.

Overall, lots of ways to do this depending on how much data and how much you want to pay for the data plan. Over a short period of time this will override much of the up front costs anyway. Oh - other thing that will need to be accounted for - what type of power do you have?

fasenuff
# Posted: 15 Nov 2014 10:17

Using a cell phone that has internet that can be shared with a computer or an internet dongle connected to a laptop with a usb camera you could rig something pretty easy I did the same and it worked for me. I used free software that posted the pic online and emailed me when it did. Just gotta use solar to recharge laptop battery. Old laptops can be had for $100 or less Usb cameras sell for as little as $10. Free software can be used that will include motion detection to trigger pic being taken, posting pic online, and emailing you notice.

bobrok
# Posted: 15 Nov 2014 14:57

Thank you all for the replies. Ok, now that you have my hopes up that this can be done, I really need to dig deeper into it.
First off let me add that I do have power. That's the easy one.
Next off I have to apologize and clarify that this would be for interior monitoring. Sorry for not sharing that tidbit; please don't flame me

Is there any reason a trail cam couldn't be used indoors?
Another question I have on using an old smartphone or laptop is that there would be no way to remotely reboot after a power failure.

A camera seems the best. How could I get one to send an occasional picture using a cellular signal?

razmichael
# Posted: 15 Nov 2014 18:25

I think using trail cams with built in cellular is likely a very expensive way to go. The camera's are costly as they need to be waterproof as welll as very good at using low power. In addition, the data plan might be way to costly for just a camera. Indoor wired or wireless LAN camera's are not expensive and most will have built in motion sensing and email capability. How many do you need to monitor the cabin? It may well still come down to running a central cellular internet wireless point in the cabin so you can add cameras, use it when you are there for other things. You pay for one data plan that covers all purposes - likely much cheaper than one of the plans that comes with the pre-installed SIM card cameras. I know Rogers (here in Canada) offer mobile Hotspot hubs or standard cellular hubs and you pick the data plan that meets your needs. The hubs are cheaper than a single cellular camera (at least the ones I have seen).

Quoting: bobrok
Another question I have on using an old smartphone or laptop is that there would be no way to remotely reboot after a power failure.

Unless you expect a long power failure, both these options would last for a decent amount of time on battery power. Keep in mind that either one of these would still need a data plan. I'm looking at the Rogers Mobile Hub and it is free with a 2 year plan - still might be an easier and more robust solution than hacking together a cellphone or laptop - don't get me wrong - I love a good hack.

I have a few cameras around my house - got them from Foscam but this is Canadian. Mine are all outdoor cameras connected wirelessly to my internal network.

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 16 Nov 2014 21:50

Quoting: bobrok

If your laptop is an Apple running OSX, then there is already an option in Settings->Energy Saver->Start up automatically after power failure. I'm not familiar with Windows anymore, but there must be a similar option or maybe 3rd party software available to accomplish the same thing.

As far as repurposing an old smartphone as a surveillance camera, try Presence by Power the People. I know its available for iPhones, not sure about Android. Its a free app that you can install to turn one device into a surveillance camera, and install it on another device so that you can remotely view the video.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.