Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / NM Forum Members (Only) For a reason
Alan K
# Posted: 27 Nov 2014 10:54

I know this post is going to be a long shot, But figured it can't hurt. Just so I can keep my logic straight and NOT create more questions than answers. My situation / plan... In stages.

#1 - Looking for RAW acreage in New Mexico. Currently, Live/Work in Massachusetts. So I am somewhat limited on timeframes and when I could go see property. My luck I'd just get back from a week or 2 vacation from there with no luck and come across a parcel of interest.

#2 - I have enough of a timeframe to really make sure I buy the property I want. Here's my very short criteria list.

a) 5+ acres (Not a landlocked parcel).
b) Enough level / buildable area to handle my intended build.
(24 x 24) footprint.
c) Some treed (a plus but not a requirement).

That's it to my criteria...... Now the Hard Part.

Any NM forum members around, that wouldn't mind being my eyes? LOL. If I come across a parcel that peaks my curiosity, that is close to you. Just an affirmation that 'Yes - Buy it" or "No - it's a ______".

Like I said LONG shot. But thank you.

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Nov 2014 12:23 - Edited by: MtnDon

NM has lots of desert areas and some mountain areas from north to south, east to west and the climate varies with altitude too. What do you want? Do you mind summers that are hot, hot, hot? Or looking for mountains where it is cooler in summer, but will have snow in winter? Close to any particular size of town/city, or as remote as possible? North, south, east, west?

Alan K
# Posted: 27 Nov 2014 12:56

Hi Don,

Pretty much open to area, yeah, I wouldn't mind a little snow for the Christmas season, Just not the 2 feet of it at once like we get here on occasion. So I guess that puts me in / near the mountains. This is for more down the road aka retirement.

The idea of being away from everything appeal to me. Currently, my neighborhood is so congested and growing, that's the reason for vacancy... serenity.

Thanks for the e-mail Don.

Have a Great Holiday

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Nov 2014 15:12

Well, we live in NM and I would not and did not buy property here without at least viewing land that would be suitable for you in advance. I assume you have visited here. Hopefully in summer so you know what it's like. The only way summer is bearable, to us, is if you have some altitude. 7500 feet and higher is cooler and the nights cool off. Home is at 6000 feet and uncomfortably hot for outdoor activities, for us in July and August. Unless you begin early and finish by noon. Our mountain property is at 8800 and much better! That's where we spend summer. On occasion enough snow at one time to mean 24 hours before the snow plows come by.

We're near ABQ and do frequent the Jemez area northwards.

Alan K
# Posted: 27 Nov 2014 19:34

Thanks for the Facts Don.

Went looking at 1 of the properties I have in-mind. Jotted down some specifics. I see where it puts me, but have No Idea what it's like in regards to your earlier elevation information.

Here's a crude location of the Property. See if "You" would consider the area.

In Cibola County NM.
18 Miles Southwest of Ramah.
54 Miles - I-40 - Town of Grants.
ABQ - 2 1/2 hrs away.

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Nov 2014 21:45 - Edited by: MtnDon

Have you used Google Earth... find Ramah, use the riler tool to measure 18 miles SW and then 54 miles from Grants. The trees there appear to be Pinon, which are an evergreen type but not too tall as a rule. = not what I call a shade tree. My guess is its hotter there in summer than I like; but that is just me; but still under 95 F average in June - August. That's the rainy season but with less than 2" average monthly.

If you want I can email you a Google Earth *.kmz file of where it would seem to be. Just a rough estimate going by the distances and the SW compass direction. My email can be found in my forum profile.

ZenMaster
# Posted: 28 Nov 2014 17:21 - Edited by: ZenMaster

I have property close to where it seems you were looking. It is in Cibola County by Ramah. It is a large area with 5+ acre lots. Higher elevation around 7000 ft. Great Summer weather. Power and phone lines to all lots if that is needed. I am building more off grid. It is in an area called Timberlake Subdivision. Don't let the name throw you off. It was an old ranch area and divided up back in the 70's. My lot backs national forest and is isolated and quiet. There are a lot of different choices there. I have many Pinon trees on my lot but there are quite a few with Ponderosa Pines etc. It's a beautiful area. It has all the criteria you mentioned. Google Timberlake Subdivision in NM and you should be able to see online a newsletter they send out.

http://www.trnews.info/index.html

There is another area close by called Candy Kitchen. I'm not that familiar with it but have seen the signs.

Hope that helps

Alan K
# Posted: 28 Nov 2014 23:40

Thank You Don & ZM,

I take a day off from here and come back to so much info to digest (Sorry for that, Long Day).

Zen, nice to see that there are others in the area that I'm looking in. Kind of an Affirmation that I am actually looking in a habitable area. Thanks for the google reference and the link.

Take Care, All.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.