Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Insulated Curtains...Help!
rmak
# Posted: 28 Nov 2014 09:13

I don't know anything about curtains. My wife does but everything she tries to explain to me doesn't register.

I got a good idea yesterday. I converted my open front porch of the cabin into a room using big sliding windows. Now that it's winter the windows make it difficult to heat our cabin quickly. Someone suggested insulated curtains. I think that would be a great idea. Not only to hold the heat, but to kind of close off the inside from anyone passing by, hunters, kids, etc.

Does anyone have these kinds of curtains over big windows? How did you attach them and how can you make them slide out of the way? Is there a better way to cover the windows other than sliding curtains. My wife said something about new window things that sound like the old style blinds attached above the window that you pull down and up.

Anyhow, help the curtain challenged.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Nov 2014 09:18

Google window quilts. We've had some for 30 years.

hattie
# Posted: 28 Nov 2014 13:36

In the winter put shrink plastic on the inside of the windows. You use double sided tape and shrink it on with a hair dryer.

Here is a good article about energy efficient window treatments: http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/energy-efficient-window-treatments

rmak
# Posted: 29 Nov 2014 12:33

Thanks for the article, Hattie! I did find window quilts, MtnDon. I'm going to get a quote for the roll up cheap ones. Thanks to you too!

rmak
# Posted: 2 Dec 2014 21:21 - Edited by: rmak

Just for the record, the Window Quilt folks can do three of my big sliding windows and one smaller window for $450. I'm going to start saving up since I think these things are a good set up. The curtains roll up above the window when not in use, and roll down and are velcro'ed all the way around to seal off the glass. They are three layers thick so I'm sure they will cut down on heat loss. I believe they will add to the cabin's security when I'm not around since people won't be able to look in. Also, when it gets dark outside and we are inside it's kind of creepy to have those big windows that are pitch black all around you. Curtains will be welcome then too.

The people at Window Quilt Co. are real nice to work with.

MtnDon
# Posted: 2 Dec 2014 21:46 - Edited by: MtnDon

I think you will like them a lot. Ours will be 30 years old come May. They really do cut down on heat transfer, both summer and winter. Ours run in a vinyl track on each side of the window. We have a couple of the blackout type; they have a mylar layer that blocks all light. And also some that are room darkening, but not blackout.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.