Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Honda Generator 2000 or 3000?
Bridge Boy
# Posted: 3 Dec 2014 02:37

I am in the market for a Honda generator and can't decide if a 2000 watt generator will meet my needs or should I go with a 3000. I can run well pump and water heater at different times so I know that a 2000 would work. Advantage of 3000 is that I could run both at same time. The 3000 is about twice the money, but it would also have electric start.

Is the 2000 that much better on fuel consumption? Weight and portable use I know would be better.

Anybody have experience with both?

Thanks,

Bridge Boy

Pookie129
# Posted: 3 Dec 2014 02:51 - Edited by: Pookie129

Although I have the 2000, I would suggest going with the 3000 if weight isn't an issue

If you are in the US, you can also consider 2 x 2000 and companion them together when necessary, or just use one when needed. Lot more flexibility and for the same price as the 3000 (almost or in the ball park), you get the option of using 1 when light power is required or having 4000 at your disposal.

Also way easier to move around, cart around and or manoeuvre. Plus it allows you two have to powered areas (i.e. power tools and such being used to build things at a different location on your property, while your shelter could still have access to some power by splitting the 2 up).

I am pretty sure I saw a thread with a Honda generator sale and the price is pretty awesome....maybe cost that configuration out and see what your best plan is among the options.

Good luck but you won't need it with a honda Go Team Red (although I am not adverse to Yamaha for certain things like a wr450 or their propane generator but that is another story.

Pookie129
# Posted: 3 Dec 2014 02:57

NB - I was not able to get the companion option as I live in Canada and I wasn't willing to go across and try to bring back 2 generators....and it was a lot of work, and risk if I wanted to go off chart and modify them to companion up.

I ended up with the 2000 strictly based on weight rather than the 3000....there is just no way I could swing that thing around and even with wheels, lifting it on to the back of the truck bed was just to cumbersome to do 2 - 4 times a week.....(property isn't secured enough to leave the genny there, and its a work truck of sorts and I change up regularly, so it is like a child and comes with me most places...lol). I can manage the 2000 no problem but I had to be realistic about the weight, use and the fact I would be doing the lifting alone at least 2, if not 3-4 of those times, for once in my life, common sense took over = and sadly, and ironically I regret it. I could have figured something out for the power trade off, but I needed to get something in place and I rushed the decision = a costly set back on my search or quest for the adequate or best power situation but a lesson well learned for next time.....hopefully.

Sorry to drone on.....

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 3 Dec 2014 07:30

Can a 2000 run a well pump?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Dec 2014 21:46 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Pookie, so you bought the Honda 2000 and regret it?

CD, the 2000 is rated for 16.3 amps start up and 13.4??? continuous? What is the specs for your well?

You can parallel as many of these as you like.

The kit hooks 2 of them up giving you 28 amps. Here is a video of a guy who hooked 4 of them all together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmCHf-AemlU

jaransont3
# Posted: 3 Dec 2014 22:04

We have the 3000W for our cabin in Minnesota. While it is on the heavy-side (compared to the 2000), it really hasn't been a problem so far. We lug it the 830 miles back and forth to the cabin when we go. I use a hitch mounted tray on the back of our Ford Flex.

We opted for the 3000 for a few different reasons. Electric start was one....we want to eventually add remote start and stop to it since our generator shed is 75 feet from the cabin and that walk kind be might long when it is -20F in the middle of the winter. The higher power capability is another reason....we have no problems running any of the tools we need for working on the cabin, we can run a small air conditioner when necessary and it provides emergency back-up power for our house in Michigan since we lug back with us. I also liked the larger fuel tank. We typically go through less than two tanks of gas (about 7-8 gallons) when we are at the cabin for a week. It really sips the fuel when in eco-mode. We also run on a small battery bank at night and when away from the cabin which helps the fuel consumption.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Good luck.

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Dec 2014 04:11

I don't regret getting the 2000, I just wish I had bigger muscles or the use of local sherpas so I could have gotten the 3000, which I think would have been the better option in the bigger picture or long run. But again, had to go based on reality and practicality - what I could reasonable carry, transport, manoeuvre by myself and that was the 2000.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 4 Dec 2014 08:06

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
CD, the 2000 is rated for 16.3 amps start up and 13.4??? continuous? What is the specs for your well?

I have a larger genny for my well (3/4 hp 230v 8 amp max) but I'm interested in a setup for my boiler with the 2000 for fuel conservation.

Bridge Boy posted above about running a well pump which I don't think the 2000 will for most well pumps.

rayyy
# Posted: 4 Dec 2014 17:00

I am very happy with my EU2000I but I'd be even happier if it did have an electric start.I never run any two of my 1000 watt gadgets at any given time together so 2000 watt's is plenty.My vacuum cleaner,microwave,toaster,hair dryer and table saw.These are the only things I have that I cant run any two together at the same time on my Honda.I am thinking about getting a EU1000I to run my low wattage stuff like this computer or T.V. set which add's up to about 90% of the time.My solar panels are about useless in the winter time.I rely on my genny for everything.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 4 Dec 2014 19:28

rayyy, just curious why are your panels not working out?

ICC
# Posted: 4 Dec 2014 20:42

The 3000 has electric start but they don't have an automatic choke. That makes them cranky or impossible to start remotely when the weather turns cold. Mostly the electric start saves your arm. But it also comes with a battery that needs to be maintained.

Pookie129
# Posted: 5 Dec 2014 05:11

Great ICC, because you are going to need that arm to carry the darn thing...lol..lol.

rayyy
# Posted: 5 Dec 2014 16:56

Because here in western new York it is cloudy most every day in the winter.I'd say 1 out of 10 days might be partially sunny.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Dec 2014 17:23 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: rayyy
Because here in western new York it is cloudy most every day in the winter.I'd say 1 out of 10 days might be partially sunny.

That just means more panels for your array is all.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.