Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Metal gas cans
ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 3 Dec 2014 16:07 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

I've been looking for metal gas cans and didn't want to spend $50 a can or any more then I had to.

I bought some Justrite type 1 cans from Rural King dot com for less than $30 each shipped. I treated the gas with PRI-G fuel treatment and will treat it yearly for three years and use it when it's 4 years old and resupply unless it's needed before then. I'll transfer the fuel by siphoning not pouring when used.

I believe these cans are made in USA and Germany with a 10 year warranty.

They aren't stackable like some other cans but with 2x10 shelfs they store nicely.

Also looking for 15 Gal steel drum type containers for fuel storage if anyone knows of a good source.

Pookie129
# Posted: 3 Dec 2014 18:50

Sorry to sidebar your topic but you seem to have some understanding of ,or an interest in gas; can you give me an idea of how long gas can sit, how long is it usable (if that is the right context), would something like containment make a difference - plastic vs. metal, etc. temperature, etc.

What about different kinds of gases - propane, race base, etc.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shayna

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 3 Dec 2014 19:59 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

The fuel additive PRI-G is the additive I've chosen to use after a bit of research. I've talked to the company about this product and they have one customer who has 8 or 9 year old fuel which is still good. The fuel needs to be treated yearly with this product.

One ounce treats 16 gallons of gas...good for one year. After one year you can add another ounce and mix it in with low air pressure...good for another year, etc.

Shelf life of PRI-G after opened is three years. One 16 oz container can treat 256 gallons of fuel. I want to treat 80 gallons over three years with the one 16oz container and use the gas on the 4th year if I didn't need it by then and start all over again, or I can continue to treat it.
They also say you can also restore old gas that is several years old to new again with I think a double dose which I'll be trying.

Based on what I have read I believe metal is better than plastic for storing fuel which is why I bought 10 5 gallon JustRite cans. PRI also makes additives for other fuels like diesel and Kerosene. I think propane will last forever as long as it wasn't contaminated in the first place.

Store fuel in as cool environment as you can and try to get ethanol free gas if you can. You also may want to look into your homeowners insurance and town regulations with regard to the amount of fuel you store. That's about all I can offer.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Dec 2014 21:30 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, you said metal, but we had a junior motocross team and I used Scribner Jugs from Scribner plastics. In fact, I have 4 of them, 2 clear for premium, one orange for 2 stroke mixed (we raced orange KTM motorcycles) and I even picked up a green one for diesel. I wanted to get a yellow, but they discontinued that color. I use these to make my pure gas runs (alcohol free gas).

I installed the pour spout. There is a 3/4" pipe plug in the cap, remove it, install a small brass nipple (shortest you can buy), then screw in a nice brass gate valve, then the poly pipe threaded to barbed fitting for the clear flex hose, the flexible plastic hose you find in plumbing for a pour spout, get it all at Home Depot. Then at the end of the pour spout, get a barbed push in poly pipe fitting, same as the valve end, then add the PVC plastic cap that screws on the end now to keep water and dirt out of there.

I can fill my Honda gennie with ease. I just tip the entire jug upside down, nozzle in the gennie tank, crack the ball valve open a little, shut off when its full. No spill etc.

Now the website reads "not for gas", its just a legal deal because they dont have the nanny caps required now. Works great for gas, diesel etc.

They have a website, but it seems to be down.
http://www.scribnerplastics.com/

But you can buy them from all sorts of off road motorcycle shops.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1483/i/scribner-plastics-spacesaver-utility-jugs

The jug is about $35, but when you get the spout set up, its a little more. But it will be the last gas can you will ever buy. If you get more than one, you can swap around the nozzle cap vs setting all up with a nozzle.

Also, great holders to contain these inside a trailer, but I use a motorcycle tie down with great luck. They are squarish and therefor, stack close and tight. The rounded ones dont and bobble around more.
Scribner Plastic Jug
Scribner Plastic Jug

Pookie129
# Posted: 4 Dec 2014 04:13

Thanks CD, that was helpful. Much appreciated.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 4 Dec 2014 06:42

t_m_t, I have plastic too for usual uses but for long term storage I kept reading metal was better for storage. The plastic ones I have are older and I always smell gas when transporting...when I filled the metal cans up I didn't smell gas. I really wanted Jerry style cans as they stack and like your square cans pack better then a round can but were $50 and many mage in China. I don't plan on pouring out of the JustRites but siphon the fuel out at some point.

I've seen your jugs before maybe you've posted about them before...I remember looking at them in the past.

I like your nozzle setup and the shape of the can. I can use a couple of them to replace my plastics.

Do you have an extended run tank setup for your generator?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.