Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / out house
<< . 1 . 2 .
creeky
# Posted: 8 Jun 2015 12:48

No worries TM. It is so easy to make you will freak out. It really is one-two-three and you're done.

I can't say much about the compost vs critter attraction factor as my experiment is in early days (just over one week in fact). What I have noticed is I put a small amount of chicken in the compost barrel (as, according to the "lore" you can add meat and other compost no-nos to a bokashi compost system) and covered with plain old straw and then hit it with another bit of a batch of bokashi I made.

Nothing. No smell. No critters. No flies. I just went and checked. Yup. Continuing clear. Usually I get at least ants.

I have regular visits from raccoon at night. Skunks. None of them seem interested in the compost barrel. So far.

To go wildly off topic. I do like my skunks. They are very friendly. And I always get a kick out of how vain they are with their much feathered tail fur.

chrisser
# Posted: 12 Jun 2015 11:23

Don't know if this is helpful to anyone but...

We have a composting outhouse. Use rabbit bedding from the pet store instead of sawdust.

For urine, we got an Ecovita privy kit. It's a toilet seat with a built in urine diverter. Makes it easy to keep solids and liquids separate. When we did occasional use, I just diverted the urine to a separate bucket, but we're going to be using full time shortly and will likely devise some sort of urine flushing system and send it right out to the woods or plantings.

It's amazing how little the composting toilet smells even in summer with no active ventilation (outhouse is vented). It's a great solution compared to what a septic system costs and you get fertilizer if you want it.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.