Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Show us your fire rings
Smawgunner
# Posted: 24 Dec 2014 21:14 - Edited by: Smawgunner

Not sure if I want to dump the money on a nice commercial ring with cooking attachments or not but it may be handy. Or I could just go find a big arse tractor rim and call it a day. Convince me either way,...whatta got to show me?

etjohnson
# Posted: 24 Dec 2014 22:18

I don't have a pic handy, but I'm really pleased with mine. Its the metal tub from an old top loader washer. All the holes in it give the fire plenty of air and it looks really cool at night. A round grill grate fits right over the top. You can get fancy and weld legs on and paint it or just yank it straight out of the washer and light a fire in it.

Wilbour
# Posted: 24 Dec 2014 22:46

Previous owner left 10 palettes of bricks, guess what mine is made of

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Dec 2014 23:23

I do not have a picture. But mine is 2 24" semi truck rims, the maxi types (wide singles) and the bottom one, the center was left it, the top rim, center cut out and rim welded on top of the other. The bottoms half is buried in the ground. I have torched 3 holes around the perimeter near the ground to bring in air. I have a meshed grate over the top of it, to keep sparks at bay or cook over the fire.

I may end up getting one of these. I need to figure out a decent way to ship it.

http://www.parktables.com/products/497-fire-ring-330-square-inch-welded-kpafg80tb.asp x

Here is different variations.
http://www.parktables.com/category/34-fire-rings-for-campgrounds-local-city-and-natio nal-parks.aspx

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 05:55

my fire ring at the pond is a big truck rim....works fine

one at the Maine camp is slate/rocks

one at my local cabin ....is a VINTAGE steel wheel that came of a saw mill OR grist mill ~~~that was belt driven by water....the massive steel spokes were broke out of it when found it about 15 years ago in the creek on my hunting property. The creek got real low and I found part of the wheel sticking up. About 3 hours later with a tractor with hay forks chains and a couple buddies we got it back to camp. It weigh's hundreds of pounds. I moved it to the new cabin with a bucket of the tractor. I wish I knew all the history on this old wheel. There was a grist mill and a saw mill on this creek back in the day.

creeky
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 09:59

I too have the big truck rim.
But scored 220 granite bricks from an old fireplace. Me thinks the fire wheel is getting an upgrade.

Wilbour
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 23:01

Hey im missing a little over 200 granite bricks. Anyone know what miht have happened to them?

creeky
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 10:51

and you thought all that clatter was reindeer ... ho ho ho

Malamute
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 11:36

Mine was just rocks from my yard.

Wanting something nicer. Thinking gazebo actually, along with an outdoor ring. Have to stop all this thinking.

I posted it before, but Yellowstone Traditions has some amazing houses, and a couple gazebos in the project section of their site. In "exteriors" section, 5 clicks down, pic on right, and bottom of that page. Larger than I want, but love the style, and partial windbreak style. The outdoor fireplaces off the main house fireplace is also very cool. One is on their main page.

There is a similar type of outdoor fireplace in the detail pics and film clips of Beorns house from the second Hobbit film. THAT set house is amazing in its detail and style BTW.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 16:29

I don't have access to a cheap supply of bricks, and the stone on my property is not suitable for a fire ring. So I broke down and bought a fire ring. It wasn't cheap, but it is professional, government park quality and has cooking hooks and racks and brackets to secure it in concrete so nobody will steal it. We do occasionally use the cooking racks, but could live without them if they weren't attached.

I've attached a picture. It's not the best, but you'll get the drift.
Fire Ring
Fire Ring

creeky
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 13:42

Hey PA, Wilbour's place still has plenty of granite left. Santa's not busy until next year, maybe he could drop some off for you.

Your fire ring looks a lot like mine. but with a way nicer grill.

Wilbour
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 00:17

Somehow i feel like I am being taken for granite.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 00:37

Quoting: Wilbour
Somehow i feel like I am being taken for granite.

sparky1
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 11:47

I made My fire ring from (3) steel window Guards (lowes) put 5/16 bolts washers & wing nuts to hold it together. easily to take apart & take it camping.
I have a piece of sheet metal under it so grass doesn't fire up.
I keep (old liquid soap jugs) in the truck-to put the fire out.
sparky1
Fire ring in the field.
Fire ring in the field.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.