Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Burnt light bulb, what would cause this?
Smawgunner
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 20:43

This light blew out and I found it like this. It's an interior bulb used inside our home. .???

bobrok
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 21:29

Common with these. I've had several go like this. Sometimes they've exploded in a loud bang along with a puff of smoke and a burnt-electrical smell. Don't know the cause, but I do know from experience that these type bulbs often do not give the advertised life expectancy.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 21:38 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I had one do the same thing. I did smell a burning odor prior. Make sure that bulb is UL listed. A non UL bulb, or fixture that its in. Hate to see a home go up in flames from a cheapo CFL bulb.

Bancroft bound
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 22:06

End of life.
A little secret they don't say a whole lot about.
They can go like this with all the associated hazards!

hattie
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 23:09

We've had the same problem. Their life expectancy isn't what they claim!

MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 10:19

Yes, I have seen one or two do that too. It's just the luck of the draw. So far so good with the LED bulbs we've been running for almost a year,though.

Malamute
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 11:01 - Edited by: Malamute

I've seen it reccommended NOT to leave that type bulb (early CFL's) on when nobody is home. When they fail they can catch fire.

After hearing that, I dont care how much power they save, I wont use one.

bobrok
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 11:24

You make a good point Malamute about early CFLs. I converted my house way back when these were leading edge technology. Now they are being overtaken by LED technology.
I've actually had recycling centers refuse these old CFLs due to the mercury content. I had to pay per bulb when I turned them in, or else wait for a hazardous material recycling day.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.