Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Cabin automation
basrijn
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 20:52 - Edited by: basrijn

Hi,

----------------
First off: a disclaimer. The below is not intended to be particularly practical, useful or cheap. It was however lots of fun for me Might be of interest to some other people as well.
----------------

I have been using wireless equipment from a company called Ubiquity for a while. They also make some interesting home automation stuff under the mFi product name.

The excuse I came up with to play with this stuff was a desire to use an electric heater to keep or well shed warm. But only if there is enough battery capacity etc.

So I went ahead and purchased:
- One mPort , the device required to read sensors (temperature, current, voltage)
- One mFi-CS, AC current sensor
- One mFi-THS, temperature sensor
- One mPower, a power bar has switchable outputs

After downloading the free mFi software you need to detect the mPort and mPower. Once they have been detected you define what sensors are connect to them.

On the mPort I have a Temp sensor on Port 1, an AC current sensor on Port 2. The third port on the mPort has one analog input (-2V to +2V). I build a 10:1 voltage divider so I can measure up to 20V (this is a 12V system)

On the mPower I have the electrical heater and a heating tape.

After you configure all that you would see something like this -> mFi_device_overview.jpg

As long as the software is running it will collect data from the different sensors. The attached sample graph is of the heaters power draw (from the mPower port, you can see when I turned the heater to a higher power setting) versus the temperature.

Pretty cool is that can define rules to do things like:
- If the temperature drops below 4 dgrC and the voltage is above 13V (ie, charger is on, in my case that means the generator is running) turn on the heater.

The mPort can also drive external relays etc. So once I get that remote start generator, there is all sorts of fun possible

I have the current sensor placed so that it measures all current used, independent off what the source is (generator or battery). It's very interesting to see what power consumption is at any point (turn on light etc). I know that running the laptop, Wifi AP's and router pull 0.23A over night, so no worries about keeping that going.

Hope there is other people who enjoy this sort of stuff

Bas
mFi_Device_overview..jpg
mFi_Device_overview..jpg
mFi_Heater_Temp.JPG
mFi_Heater_Temp.JPG

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 22:24

Hi, I enjoyed home automation for about six years (not at my cabin though). Had over 60 X10 devices in my home, all managed by the computer and accessible via the net.

I'm not familiar with the system you referenced, but will look into it. Thanks for sharing.

creeky
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 13:47

I have wanted to have something like this since I moved out here. But the overhead is too much for my solar system. My router and internet access draw 45w/hr or 1kw/day.

Your post makes me think instead of turning off the whole router/internet box maybe I could just turn off the internet box and then use wifi for control. I'll have to measure the power draw of my router (and add the fact that my inverter will stay on). Thanks. (Okay. I'm slow.)

But I've also been looking at zigbee and low power bluetooth. Anybody used anything like this? Staples in the US has a pretty good controller apparently. I tell you. All I want is to be able to turn off the internet remotely. So a power plug(s). And some security cams would be nice (I've had a problem with rodenti). Now that I mention it some lights ...

great time for this post. xmas sales and all that.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.