Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Moving Away
vandersysml
# Posted: 29 Dec 2014 11:05

Hey everyone, it's bee a while since I posted anything. After building my 10X16 cabin in the Arkansas Ozarks and enjoying it for a few years, the military will be moving us across the country. We'll be in California for a year or less, then up to Montana, Wyoming or North Dakota... A long way from the cabin. I don't see myself coming back to stay in it very often. We don't have running water or electricity there, so we have depended on being able to haul water from our house in Oklahoma (which we will no longer have). So I have a dilema. I want to keep the land, but I don't want my cabin to rot. I'm thinking about leasing the land/cabin for hunting, but I don't feel great about that. If someone gets hurt in my cabin (which is definately not built to code - there are no codes in that county) will I be liable? Is this just a horrible idea? Does anyone have experience in this? I certainly don't want to run this deal under any sort of hotel/lodging regulations. More of a "hey, bonus, there is a cabin you can sleep in at your own risk if you pay to lease the land for hunting." Any input and wisdom would be appreciated.

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Dec 2014 12:35

i am sorry u wont be near your cabin anymore.how sad.
well thats our worry too.we have an old mobile home on our property we need to tear down.its coming when we wil be out there at the cabin full time.
people go on our property to take stuff off of the mobile home when we arent there.we have no trespassing signs and have the place boarded up.
we worry about someone getting hurt but they arent suppose to be there in the first place.
yours is more tricky.i would just say...and let it be known.u are there at your own risk.make them sign a paper saying.
good luck on your travels.

adakseabee
# Posted: 29 Dec 2014 12:41

As a service member are you also a member of USAA? If you are, you may be able to get liability and fire insurance that covers your property and cabin. In my case, my NYS property and 10x14 cabin is covered as an addition to my homeowner's insurance on my VA home. It appears that you don't own the house in Oklahoma, so I don't know if you will be eligible for coverage on your cabin and land. If I were you, I'd give USAA a call and ask. Perhaps, they would cover it if you had auto or renter's insurance with them. As for leasing the property to prevent the cabin from rotting away, consider contacting a hunt club in the area. Lastly, you may want to consider paying a neighbor you trust to look after the property.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 29 Dec 2014 16:38

I believe if you take money you can be held liable and not so if you don't. If you're serious about leasing contact a lawyer for advice. Not worth a gamble.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Dec 2014 20:38

I lease property for hunting . I have 4 different tracts leased. Near my camp. We get insurance to the property owner from different companies on each tract. ~~ a million dollar policy is around $200 per year TOTAL for me and my 10 hunting club members. So you can require the leasee to furnish you with a liability insurance policy. How many acres do you have to lease for hunting ??Or it just a small camp and public hunting close by??

gmlechuga
# Posted: 4 Jan 2015 16:20

vandersysml
Hi, what part of ok? we just got Land in the Illinois river ranch and we want to put a hunting cabin, did you have a hard time with permit?

travcojim
# Posted: 7 Jan 2015 22:51

vandersysml, where abouts in Madison County? I am just outside of Kingston about 7 miles, near the Newton line.
travcojim@gmail.com

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.