Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Refrigerators
Smawgunner
# Posted: 31 Dec 2014 11:31

Can a regular AC refrigerator withstand freezing temps without damage? If not, what are you guys doing to protect your fridge during the winter months when your gone? I'm almost ready to buy one,...finally got electric to the cabin!

beachman
# Posted: 31 Dec 2014 12:01

We have had one in our garage for years, sometimes on, sometimes off and no issues. We are in eastern Canada so temps really cold in the winter. Our propane units in our camps are off all winter in sub-zero temps and no problems. No research - just experiences.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 31 Dec 2014 13:12

I also have had one in my cabin during the winter. We keep it plugged in and only visit the cabin on weekends. During the winter the cabin goes into deep freeze weekdays. I have seen no harm to the fridge. Major problem has been things freezing in fridge. Exploding pop cans and eggs make a mess.

AC units are design to be outside and share the same basic design of compressor, evaporator and condenser.

I also think the fridge compressor will never run in cold weather as the thermostat will be satisfied

Steve_S
# Posted: 31 Dec 2014 13:21

I've had fridges & freezer's located outside of the heated home (in summer kitchen) without any issues - except as huey points out things freezing in fridge can be a mess. Never had any issues with the appliances though. Just life experience, no research.

Just
# Posted: 31 Dec 2014 13:24

Much better left" on" than off . Long periods of off can cause leaks ..

naturelover66
# Posted: 31 Dec 2014 14:15

Mines been in the frozen cabin for four long winters in Michigan. Never had a problem with it when spring finally gets here and I plug it in.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 31 Dec 2014 17:11

Good to know guys...thanks!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.