Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / anybody puttin up an ice house/shed?
neckless
# Posted: 11 Jan 2015 21:12

well i dont see a lot people talkin about ice,, we did ours this past weekend,, it was only 35 below,, must be nuts,, sure is nice to have a cooler goin all summer with ice in it for refreshments,and those long fishin trips. it does save a bit of money... have a small shack 5x6 well insulated in the shade and houlds about 120 blocks 10 x10 12 in high coverd with sawdust..

hattie
# Posted: 12 Jan 2015 12:34

In the old days, they used to do this all the time up where we live. I am told it worked incredibly well! Good on you to bring back an old tradition like this! Do you have any photos of it in your ice shed?

beachman
# Posted: 12 Jan 2015 17:40

We had an icehouse when I was a kid and the locals would cut ice out of the lake, run it up a path with horses, load it into the log icehouse (with no roof) and cover over with a pile of sawdust and a canvas tarp. The ice was clear and cold all through the summer and we'd chip pieces off to put in the icebox. Have to empty the icebox water periodically but it kept things pretty cool. Finally went with a propane fridge - a lot less work.

neckless
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 20:05

yes it does work very well,mainly the sawdust and the shack has to be well vented to remove condensation ,its very handy when your there all summer, your cooler is done in about 3 days and that beer needs to be cold...lol

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jan 2015 19:18

we are now that we read this.thanks neckless!

KinAlberta
# Posted: 12 Dec 2015 10:17

Had one but never used it.

As a kid we had one next to our cabin. Built by the previous owner. Their farm house was gone but the old log icehouse remained. As kids we were never allowed to go in it because of the deep pit, rotting floorboards, collapsing roof, etc. Make sure you put a lock on the door.

bobrok
# Posted: 12 Dec 2015 11:53

URL

Here's a fun video to watch. Traditional Adirondack ice harvest in Raquette Lake. They've been doing this for a long time, can you tell?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Dec 2015 12:11

never had the need for a ice house...now a ice machine YES!!!

btw~~I did have a nice VERY OLD set of ice tongs I got at a yard sale for the Maine camp. Never used them though. The old guy I got them from told me of cutting the ice of the lake and using these ice tongs and packing blocks in sawdust in his ice house.

got 3 Yeti's and it going to be 79 deg here today in DEC...

very odd weather this winter for sure..even for the south. Very strange to be Christmas shopping in shorts/t-shirt and teva's

AK Seabee
# Posted: 12 Dec 2015 17:49

Thanks for posting the video bobrok... awesome community event!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.