Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Moisture Problems!
tundrakeith
# Posted: 19 Jan 2015 09:21

Hi Everyone,

Im new here and looking for some wisdom on dealing with a recently discovered problem in my new cabin. I recently constructed a 28'x28' cabin on pillars. It sits about 3 feet off the ground and is not sheeted in. The floor is not insulated. The rest of the cabin is insulated and has foil wrap used as a barrier. The main living area is 16'x28' and has a vaulted ceiling. I heat using a wood stove only.

Its winter here in Canada and temps are around -10 degrees celsius. When I'm at the cabin and have the wood stove lit an excessive amount of moisture appears on the windows, as well as under low lying furniture like the couch, chair and bed.

Im looking for advice on how to deal with this. Should I insulate the floor? Install fan in vaulted ceiling to circulate the air?

Any help would be great!!!

Keith

SE Ohio
# Posted: 19 Jan 2015 10:40

Yes, insulate the floor. Are windows single pane? Double panes don't typically frost over as much. I suspect your floor is acting like a single pane window, so cold that air moisture is condensing on it.

Make sure you mouse-proof the insulation underneath.

Any other sources of indoor moisture, such as propane stove, or steamy shower? Leaky roof, or metal roof improperly insulated?

beachman
# Posted: 19 Jan 2015 10:55

I have seen this happen on first heating up a cabin in NB on a very cold day. The moisture forms on the windows and walls then slowly dissipates towards the floor until the entire room is heated. We have about the same size place in NB with insulated floors - built on cement blocks and anywhere from 3ft to 2ft off the ground, and wood stove heat only. Our floor is cool but no big moisture problems. SEOhio makes good points about the floor and to mouse-proof it. You might get moisture on the initial heat up, but should be OK after that. The wood heat should dry everything out after a while.

neckless
# Posted: 31 Jan 2015 03:16

if u want a good read on that subject.. http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/information-sheets/crawlspace-insulation

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Jan 2015 11:11

And a vapor barrier (breathable) under the floor attatched to the underside of the floor joist. And a non breathable one over the ground under the cabin, in black so it doesnt act as a greenhouse under it.

The humidity can be an issue and anytime you warm up something cold, it will bring out the moisture, more so in a more humid environment. So heating a cabin interior after a cold soak may create sweat. Crack some windows for air movement to help expel it. I suspect once the interior is warm and all the items inside (heat soaked) the problem will go away. But its just at initial heat up.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.