Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Chistmas Day Brew now ready
brokeneck
# Posted: 24 Jan 2015 00:14 - Edited by: brokeneck

On Christmas day my sons brewed an IPA -- IT'S READY !!

Notice how the kettle emits a mgical light ..
ipa.jpg
ipa.jpg

brokeneck
# Posted: 24 Jan 2015 21:56

ohh theyre brewing it in the Yurbin for the first time with water from the creek ...

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 24 Jan 2015 22:54 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

great pic~~~enjoy!! the fruits of your labor

my heritage/family's ( grandfather's and those before him) business back in the day was ~~" spirits manufacturing" aka moonshining ~~all non-tax paid of course...lol

Don_P
# Posted: 25 Jan 2015 08:44

We've brewed a few batches, great fun. One thing I learned after over priming a batch was to store it in a cooler, came home one night to a sticky mess on the floor when a few bottles exploded.
When I was in my teens I tried brewing dandelion wine in a gallon cider jug. When I thought it had finished working I screwed a lid on tight. Several nights later I awoke to an explosion in my bedroom and a sickly sweet smell dripping off the torn drywall. I think that was my first experience with drywall repair .
We've made a few batches of apple wine with the old wild apples that grow on our place. Hard cider was the traditional beverage of the colonists, if something will brew it is generally safe to drink where the water was often an unknown. Johnny Appleseed wasn't planting orchards for pie, his ungrafted wild run apples were for drinking. But cider has too low an alcohol content to keep very long. Adding a bit more sugar and bumping up the alcohol gets it into the range where it is well preserved, and it's very tasty. From there they would sometimes jack the cider by leaving it outside on freezing nights, the water would freeze and that ice could be removed, often for the kids, and the apple jack was closer to a lightly distilled brandy. Gotta go carefully if you try that, it concentrates the heads and tails that are normally removed by true distillation so can lead to a nasty hangover if you have a bit too much.

brokeneck
# Posted: 26 Jan 2015 22:16 - Edited by: brokeneck

Thanks for posting gujys -- I saw there was l;ots of people that lookjed at the post but no one commented and I thought maybe the manufacture of alcohol was verbotin on this site -- thanks again great input and if youre ever out Colorado way we'll have to tip one in the yurbin!!:

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.