Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / For you dog lovers
bc thunder
# Posted: 3 Feb 2015 19:04

I found evidence of conibear traps on my property this year, and later while walking the dogs found three more on the property line. Luckily, I saw them as my dogs got to within 3 feet. Does anyone else worry about this when out with your dogs?

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 3 Feb 2015 21:11

Wow! I'm not out on my land yet but I would be super-concerned! Not to mentioned seriously ticked off that people were putting traps on my property!

There be bears in my woods. Cats, too, like bobcats and cougars. Wolves are also starting to repopulate Oregon, from what I've read. My land abuts BLM. I've been reading articles about living in remote areas and it's strongly suggested that you keep dogs close to the cabin and leashed while walking so they don't attract wildlife and fall prey to large animals. I plan to do that.

leonk
# Posted: 4 Feb 2015 10:42

Dogs are killed by traps all the time.
There're videos on utube how to release a dog from a conibear.
Watch, get one if you can and practise. Carry zip ties or rope. I also carry cable cutters for cutting snares if my dogs ever get into one. (knock on wood)
If it's on your property, I'd make sure it's all legal, talk to the trapper or report/destroy them. Regulations vary by state, e.g. some states don't allow ground conibears etc...
I also avoid active traplines. Once the snow is on the ground tracks are easy to see.

bc thunder
# Posted: 4 Feb 2015 13:04

I called MNR and when they came out they told me they didn't know if these were legal traps or not ; around here the traps don't need to be marked.
I was also told if I touched these traps I would be the one in trouble.
Good advise though about you tube, I had already watched some vids, and always carry a good knife and multitool. I will take your suggestion of carrying rope if I don't have a leash with me, as I usually don't when on my own property.

old243
# Posted: 4 Feb 2015 15:45

In Ontario, land sets with conibears , are illegal. They have to be set in water preferably under water. If they are set on your property illegally shove a stick in them and set them off, If they are small 110 conibears probably set for rabbits. A registered trapper on his line property , should not be tampered with. old243

bc thunder
# Posted: 4 Feb 2015 18:04

HEY OLD243: I'm certainly not saying your wrong, as I'm no expert, but I was told by the MNR officer that they are legal on the ground, and he left them there telling me not to touch them. They were right on my property line. About two hundred feet in on my property was a skinned marten, and a deer head with a rope around it's neck.

smallworks
# Posted: 5 Feb 2015 16:56

Our place is near a river that used to be a public camping area until the state took it over. it's now overgrown and we let our dog run loose until some guy came over to warn us he was trapping coyotes.
We had a friendly conversation and I didn't get into my anti-trapping stance.
Never would have guessed it as people wander all over there, quiet as it is.
It opened my eyes and I'm glad he came out.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 5 Feb 2015 18:20

Why not just talk to your adjoing land owner if you are concerned? sounds like the traps are legal and they are not on your property, per your post. What's the problem?

bc thunder
# Posted: 5 Feb 2015 18:26

YA Small I hear you. I don't think most people realize how close these traps are to dense populations. A few days ago there was a cat caught in one and the vet had to amputate the little guys front leg. At least I know these things are close by and I can watch out for them.

Jim in NB
# Posted: 6 Feb 2015 06:19

My dogs always get free run at my camp - they usually stay close but every once in awhile they will go for an adventure. Not the least concerned - shit happens! As for bears - well at least black bears - bears are no match for dogs! I can remember a small fox terrier we had treeing a bear at our cottage as a kid. If you let your dogs have the run of the place they will mark it up pretty good as a rule and most other animals will stay away - trappers know this and as a result they likely won't set traps nearby. And most trappers and outfitters will talk to you if they are working in your area. And they are good guys to have around - they keep the population size of some animals in a reasonable state - I sure wouldn't want to many bears around - thank god the Can $ is doing a noise dive - we should see alot more US bear hunters returning to Canada to help manage the populations!

old243
# Posted: 6 Feb 2015 09:12

Ontario also will have a spring bear hunt , in some areas near larger northern centers, where they have been having bear problems. Our spring hunt was cancelled for over 10 years , due to green meddling and politics . Created a huge problem for the rural people. Hopefully other areas will soon be opened back up.
Like Jim said trappers are not your enemy , Talk to him, go with him some day when he is running his traps , if he agrees. You might find it interesting, Possibly make a new friend. old243

leonk
# Posted: 6 Feb 2015 14:03

<<About two hundred feet in on my property was a skinned marten, and a deer head with a rope around it's neck>>

That's trespassing. You could use it as leverage, but start nicely
try finding who traps there and talk to them.
When you know where the traps are, you can avoid them at least.
If it's registered trap line on crown land MNR will know who traps there. If it's on private land - ask the owner.
R u in BC? I am not familiar with the trapping regulations, but some of the MNR staff is quite clueless, so I'd double check all the regulations.

leonk
# Posted: 6 Feb 2015 14:04

oh, multitools are useless for cutting snares or dealing with most traps.

bc thunder
# Posted: 6 Feb 2015 16:39 - Edited by: bc thunder

Leonk; Im in Ontario, and the mnr officer admitted he wash"t sure of all the regs as he had just moved up north. I would love to talk to the trapper, but I live in BC and have not as off yet been able to spend the time there I would like to. I certainly don"t want to start any trouble, I only want to protect my dogs on my own property.
Littlecooner: There has most definitely been at least some sort of illegal trapping on my property, unless the marten skinned himself to death, and the deer hanged himself. (one maybe but two animal suicides in one spot?). There is no private property next to me. It is an old three seasons road next to me. I would have to be a licenced surveyor to tell if these traps were four inches on or over the line. The problem is if someone has set traps in the past, they may do it again.

leonk
# Posted: 7 Feb 2015 18:50

On Dec. 20, while hiking on a public snowmobile trail in Kawartha Highlands, a woman's dog was caught in a baited trap located 20 feet from the trail and died as a result.

The trap was an instant-kill or conibear trap that is designed to instantly or quickly kill the trapped animal. This death took more than half an hour as the owner tried to release the dog.

According to the MNR, trails that have live traps on them do not need to be marked. Following this weekend's events, dog owners are advised to keep their dogs on leash when walking on public trails including all trails on Crown land.

leonk
# Posted: 7 Feb 2015 18:54

A dog was killed in Stirling after its head became stuck in an conibear animal trap near the Heritage Trail.

Stirling-Rawdon Police Chief Dario Cecchin stated a man was walking his "mid-sized dog" off-leash on the Heritage Trail.

The dog "went off the trail by about 30 feet when its head became caught in the trap," he stated.

It was not possible to release the trap and the dog died.

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry will investigate the incident.

Cecchin is reminding residents there is a by-law requiring dogs to be on leash at all times in public places.

"Keeping dogs on leash will keep them safe from traps, predators, and from becoming lost," he said.

Also, trappers need to understand and obey their obligations under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act.

Anyone with information about this event or any other are asked to call the Stirling-Rawdon Police Service at 613-395-0844 or Crime Stoppers at 613-969-TIPS.

The website for the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry has detailed information about trapping laws and practices in Ontario. More information can be found here: www.ontario.ca/ministry-natural-resources-forestry

old243
# Posted: 7 Feb 2015 21:27

As I stated in an earlier post In Ontario At least in southern Ontario and part of the north. Land sets, on the ground, of body gripping traps and snares are not permitted. They must be set under water. as a drowning set. Marten boxes are permitted where the cubby is placed usually on a tree up several feet, so the animal has to go through the trap , to reach the bait and is body gripped. In the far north of Ontario Snares and conibear ground sets are legal. You can read it in the mnrf website , posted just above. old243

bc thunder
# Posted: 7 Feb 2015 22:37

LEONK, That's a great link, and some sad stories. I don't mind the leash on crown land, but not on mine. Dogs gotta run. I guess I'll just need to be extra vigilant.
OLD234, I'm far enough north for legal ground traps and snares, unfortunately.
Just have to work harder and save some money for fences......

Jebediah
# Posted: 24 Dec 2015 08:11

I'm late to the party; I am very surprised the MNR officer did not apply due diligence in this situation. It was his responsibility to insure the safety of you and your animals. What he should have done was lift all the traps on your property, notify the trapper that his traps were lifted due to illegal placement (poaching). I'm surprised the officer didn't know who the trapper was as most of the trappers are well known to the MNR officers.

I left that line of work many years ago/politics.

neb
# Posted: 24 Dec 2015 14:54

Like Jim said trappers are not your enemy.

There is always two sides to a story and as hard as it is to understand some of these issues we all have to share public land the best we can. That isn't always an easy task with different thinking and uses that can be done on public land. It is one thing if the law was broken then legal measures should of taken care of. If not we need to live in harmony the best way we can. Talking to the trapper may have been a great way to start by telling him your concerns. Then you would of known your next step. Not everyone likes the same or doesn't like some of these outdoor sports while other do. We each need to respect each other and work to live in harmony.

bc thunder
# Posted: 24 Dec 2015 19:54

Yes Neb your right. It' s hard to talk to the trapper though, if even the mnr can't tell who the trapper is. The good news is I have seen no evidence of any trapping, or trespassing this year. Last year may have been by accident, as it was more obvious I was here this year. I also posted the land better this year.
So I'm happy again............

neb
# Posted: 25 Dec 2015 16:09

That is good and I have had other small issues so I can relate to your concerns. I'm very glad things are working out and the guy my have figured it out and moved on. Great!

Jebediah
# Posted: 28 Dec 2015 06:29

Quoting: bc thunder
The good news is I have seen no evidence of any trapping, or trespassing this year

That doesn't mean he won't be back next year. Many trappers will leave a line dormant for a year. If the trapper doesn't produce fur (so many pelts or a monetary amount) another trapper can apply to register that line. Trappers know this because they have to show /produce documentation of their yearly quotas from their registered fur management areas.

I'm not sure how long you have owned this land, trap lines are leased or bought (not the property), depending on the province. So the previous land owner may not have disclosed this info to you.

The type of trap/snare being used and the frequency of hours /days they have to be checked depends on the species being trapped. And 200 meters from a dwelling is legal.

The conservation officer should have checked those traps, that's his job! With a simple phone call he could have told you right there and then if the line was registered and if the traps were legal, no larger then a #2. If I were you I would call them again and find out if there is a registered line on your property for the safety of your dogs.

You used to be able to get this info from Land and title Survey and Land Use Management. Trap lines aren't usually mapped but the areas are. Forestry Workers, Mining, Oil and Hydro companies would get this info as they had to contact the trapper before they tore up his trap line. Or you can contact any Trappers Association they will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. Rules and regulation for trapping are numerous and constantly changing, A Conservation Officer carries all this info at his finger tips.

bc thunder
# Posted: 28 Dec 2015 11:53 - Edited by: bc thunder

Thanks Jeb, I should call and see what they say. The guy I bought the land from still has a cabin next to me, and while we have never spoke specifically about it, I don't feel thats the case. I think the reason I have not seen any traps this year is I run the dogs behind my ATV, around the property line three to four times a day. The area is peppered with ATV, dog, and my own tracks. If the trapper moves down the trail 500 feet almost no one goes down there; much better trapping conditions I would think..........
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.