Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / For Creeky - or other Kodiak Tent owners
Pookie129
# Posted: 5 Mar 2015 23:27 - Edited by: Pookie129

Is it worth the 600 - 1000 price tag - and if I am spending that kind of money, why not go whole hog and get a year round liveable wall tent?

I had originally looked into that before going with the pod, and although I don't regret the pod at all, and have enjoyed it very much so far - there is a small part of me that wished I had gotten the wall tent and wood stove first...(wood frame, etc). Aside from accelerating my desire and goal to move north sooner and hopefully live more sustainably, it would have provided some different options in terms of use.

If you don't mind sharing, are you still satisfied with the tent?

Thanks for any information or direction in advance.

P129 (sadly not P90..lol).

creeky
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 09:51

First: Highly recommended. Not just the Kodiak. Canvas tents get my two thumbs up.

As for the Kodiak. It's a quandary. It is cheaper than a wall tent. It's nice looking. Easy to set up. And it comes complete. Nothing to add. So the day it arrives is the day it's setup. And two days of airing out later. You're in.

It is also completely, fabulously bug proof. A wall tent that you assemble is going to take extra work. And bug proofing may be problematic.

On the plus:
Living under canvas in the summer is fantastic. The light is really nice. Everyone who came and stayed in it loved the mornings. And the immediacy to the environment. I mean you hear everything at night.

I have a lot of owls near by. For some reason my owl hoots when he gets up and again when he goes to bed. My morning alarm was the owl hooting and my time for bed was the owl hooting. Really, how cool is that.

(Luckily, he didn't call my name).

For size. At 9x12 with 7.5 ceiling center. It was perfect for a summer bedroom. I had a queen size bed. I went for the enclosed vestibule. This gave me a dressing/storage area.

I also put the tent and vestibule on two decks. 9x12 and 8x8. The vestibule had a carpet. That could turn the $1000 tent (shipping taxes etc) into a 2000 dollar tent. Tho: the 8x8 deck has become part of the chalet entrance. And the 9x12 was just an extension of a deck I built my first year out here. So...

I did set it up on the ground to air out while I modified the larger deck. The floor liner was very heavy duty. I put a sisal carpet down for extra protection and I used it for a week before moving to the deck. It was fine.

On the bad:
Mine got very hot in the mid-day sun. So best used as a bedroom (night).

I didn't find the Kodiak that durable. By the end of the year is was leaking. After the first snow it filled with water (i was storing building stuff in it.) They say you can use it for winter camping, but any snow destroys the waterproofing.

The kodiak doesn't have a stove option. With a Mr. Buddy to heat it up on those frosty eve/mornings I found 6C to be as cold as I would stay in it. (Though I went to 0). I don't run unvented propane overnight. Mostly because the mr. buddy whistles. So down sleeping bag to the rescue.

I bought it because I needed something that would work fast. I had to get out of the studio so I could build the kitchen.

I also wanted to spend as little money as possible without it being a hack. You know. Now I have a spare room for guests this summer.

If I was to go back to the "summer" 3 season use for my farm I would consider building a bigger wall tent.

Final word: I loved it. It was part of one of the best summers my life. All those beautiful mornings and wonderful nights.

You can see some of the tent cartoons I did on my blog. Look for Tall tent tales.

I2P90

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 10:29 - Edited by: MtnDon

They seem to be nice tents, but it's still a tent. Not really meant to extended long term use.... From the user guide....

"UV Damage. While your Kodiak Canvas tent is much less susceptible to UV deterioration
than many synthetic fabrics, over time it will eventually degrade the canvas. Life expectancy
in full sunlight should exceed one year of continuous use. Possibly much more than a year—
there are many factors. Prevention: Placing your tent an area where it receives full sunlight
for only a few hours a day is best, and will prolong its useful life. "

creeky
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 10:54

don't you hate it when they update the manual after you've read it.

Pookie129
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 15:56

helpful - thanks for giving me the feedback and review. Much appreciated.

Thanks Creeky and Mtn Don,
Shayna

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 15:58

Yep. The winter water problems are more likely related to the UV exposure than simply snow. Maybe spraying the material with one of their approved water repellents (silicone type) will help.

creeky
# Posted: 7 Mar 2015 08:16

I did place my tent in an area that was shaded in the afternoon. And it was the north west roof that began to leak heavily right after it was covered with snow.

But the fabric the Kodiak comes with is a lighter canvas. and its not the big brand name. It's something called hydrashield.

so i will have to respray this summer. anyone know a good water repellent suitable for canvas?

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Mar 2015 09:40

KIWI

creeky
# Posted: 7 Mar 2015 10:34

I also found
for repairing the mole holes
non aerosol water based product
and stormwatch which doesn't seem to be available in N.A.

which is to bad as it gets good reviews.

Pookie, you might want to put a fly up over your tent. I didn't as one of the things I like about canvas is the heavy material doesn't make a lot of noise in the wind.

So did you decide? Are you building a wall tent?

Pookie129
# Posted: 7 Mar 2015 14:09

Quoting: creeky
Pookie, you might want to put a fly up over your tent. I didn't as one of the things I like about canvas is the heavy material doesn't make a lot of noise in the wind.

So did you decide? Are you building a wall tent?

I am also concerned about the noise that a fly or tarp could make - even though I know that tarps and flies are helpful and serve beneficial purposes.

I am emailing back and forth with Deluxe Wall Tents as well as Capital Canvas and I am thinking wall tent - as much as I like the look and use for the kodiak, if I am going that far, I might as well go a little further and give myself the option of a wood stove, which a wall tent will allow.

I am also mulling over a traditional teepee (someone is selling a mildly used one through an acquaintance) but again, I feel like it may limit my options to some degree, so I still think that the wall may be the way to go.

I do like the looks of the kodiak, especially with the large screen doors and windows, which allow a lot of cross breeze and viewing but the fact I wouldn't have the wood stove option or as much durability during the winter months, I keep coming back to the wall tent.

creeky
# Posted: 7 Mar 2015 16:08

right on. i picked the kodiak because I needed a fast temporary solution.

- I didn't open the windows that often, but for that period of mid summer heat.

- and the wall tents are usually of a much heavier level of canvas

Would really enjoy seeing a wall tent build. good luck.

Pookie129
# Posted: 7 Mar 2015 16:52

Thanks but if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath - the wall tent part will be easy to achieve, the build and structure, including deck will be another matter altogether.

I will be attempting it but medical reports will probably proceed progress reports just as a forewarning

I am going to keep an eye out for a used or on sale kodiak or similar but will be trying to put together the wall tent project.

I also want to try something different but need some additional input before deciding if I can do it, and if it will be easy and safe enough. Some treehouse or tree stand sleeping, viewing or relaxing areas around the property, nothing fancy or award winning but something fun, functional and basic. This will be easy in comparison with the wall tent...lol..lol.

Thanks for all the good info and input, it is very much appreciated.
Shayna

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.