Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Lazy me
Xplorer
# Posted: 28 Jul 2010 12:57

Hi all, new here. I purchased a 12x20' storage shed that I'm finishing off inside to make a vacation cabin. We were using a 26' travel trailer but between the mouse infestation & a leaky roof causing the floor to rot, we needed something else. My biggest mistake was getting one that had a overhead garage door on the end. It makes it hard to insulate & can't quite figure a way to make a ceiling that won't interfere with the operation of the door. In the summer it does make a nice way to stay out of the sun & weather when it is opened. Need to also get some way to keep it warm in the late fall early. Hope to learn from the others here in the forum.

wildwood
# Posted: 24 Aug 2010 13:50

I'm thinking of using a storage shed as my weekend cabin. I would be interested in any photos you have of your project. I recently came across a site showing a weekend getaway who had incorporated the garage door into the design opening it in the mornings and evenings as an open patio area. Will see if I can find and will get back to you.

Xplorer
# Posted: 24 Aug 2010 14:02

Here's a few pictures. Look, the wife's waving, lol
"GARAGE"
"GARAGE"
INSIDE #1
INSIDE #1
dining room
dining room
kitchen
kitchen

RnR
# Posted: 22 Sep 2010 21:08

Hey Xplorer, lots of potential there! keep us posted

Kithera
# Posted: 23 Sep 2010 09:59

I don't know how much work/money you want to put into it, but there are a few options you can do with the garage door.

The basic is just to get a weather kit. This should include a little rubber base you put on the floor which the door actually sits on while closed. There is also rubber seals which go on the outside allow the parameter which create a seal when closed. If the door itself is hollow metal, you can get foam inserts which make a big difference. Use expanding foam in all cracks to make it as comfortable as possible. None of these options should interfere with the door operation as it is, and can really warm things for for a minimal investment.

For a little more, you can remove the door, and frame in the area entirely, replacing it with either a large window or a sliding glass patio door. If you're fortunate to find the actual window or door on craigslist free or something similar, this can even be a cheaper option.

fasenuff
# Posted: 23 Sep 2010 10:30

I had a jobsite trailer I lived in for a while and it had an overhead door. I put together a screen that was fastened to the bottom that would come into place when the dfoor was opened. I also made inserts that went into place to insulate the door. They were 2" foam board with 1/4" plywood on both sides and were put on the outside of the door. They fit snug and would go in and out easily.

RnR
# Posted: 23 Sep 2010 11:20

Great suggestions. I guess, Xplorer, it depends on whether or not you like having that garage door enough to keep it and insulate and add mosquito netting, or would prefer investing in framing and adding a patio door instead.

Also, it seems to me that going from no insulation to even minimal insulation makes a big difference that you can actually feel.

spelk1
# Posted: 23 Sep 2010 12:57

Xplorer is it a roll up door or are there tracks inside like a regular garage door? If its a roll-up you may be able to frame a wall in behind it with a large window or patio door, then have the door come down when your not there for security reasons.

Xplorer
# Posted: 23 Sep 2010 14:22

It is just like a home garage door with tracks that are affixed on the inside. I have installed foam board on the inside of the panels on the door. It also has the rubber foor on the bottom & the rubber edging that seal up against the door on the outside.

Xplorer
# Posted: 23 Sep 2010 14:26

Here is a poor picture of me, the dogs, & the inside of the overheat door. Here only the upper panels have the insulation installed.
Me & the dogs
Me & the dogs

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.