Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / siding questions
guy88
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 21:55

I'm building a small Bunkie 10x10 and was going to finish it with board and batten on outside and 1x6 pine on the inside. My question is can I nail it directly to the studs or is it better to have osb with vapor barrier. The Bunkie will not be used in winter but will be insulated with Rocksol insulation

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 22:07

I dont think you'd get the best shear strength, maybe OSB over the studs, then the boards and batten?

Maybe the Don's can chime in???

Just
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 22:16

If you are using 4 x 8 panels plus batons you need nothing else,, if you are using 1x lumber +batons you should use a 4x8 panel under the board and batons ...imo

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 22:55

Vertical or horizontal siding provides little lateral stability to a wall. OSb sheathing on the exterior (over the studs) provides structural rigidity. Over that a weather resistant barrier (air barrier) keeps out the wind and rain. Then the cosmetic siding of choice is applied. Inside, 1x boards, even if T&G provide very little barrier to air movement through the wall.

There are air barriers, vapor retarders and vapor barriers. The air barrier is usually regarded as more important than the vapor barrier / retarder. An air barrier can be inside or outside but is best on the exterior of the wall.

A vapor barrier can be a very effective air barrier, but an air barrier does not, and should not, stop vapor from diffusing.

If polyethylene is used as a vapor barrier on the inside it becomes possible to trap moisture in the wall. The Roxul will not be harmed, though the R value decreases, but the trapped moisture can be bad for the wood.

A vapor retarder on the inside (like kraft paper) will slow but still permit the passage of water vapor. That means any water vapor in the wall can dry to inside when conditions are right; spring and fall with a wood burning stove for example. OTOH use of a non vented propane/kerosene heater will produce much water vapor which can be detrimental.

In the Canadian climate a vapor barrier is usually recommended on the inside of the studs and over the insulation in the wall. That is premised on the winter heating season. If there will be no winter heating season the rules may be altered. But if there is a local building code to be followed you will have to follow that or work with the inspector.

One of many online references worth reading.

and another

Roxul advises to follow whatever the applicable building code wants.

bldginsp
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 23:11

The problem with vertical boards is that you can't nail them to vertical studs. Nailing them to OSB will work but they will loosen. You need horizontal blocking at regular heights to nail the boards to. I would instal blocking, then OSB (3/8" is ok), black paper and then B+B.

Don_P
# Posted: 10 Apr 2015 07:12

I agree with the above. One other detail I like to use with B&B is to rip a 15 degree angle on the edge of a 1x4 of siding material and run that horizontally at the base of the wall. Then on the bottom of each board cut a 15 degree angle. The boards are then set down to the bottom 1x4, sealing the crack between boards. Then the battens are applied over the boards and that starter strip. The starter strip keeps insects from moving into the gap between boards. The bevel is a little work but sheds water.

guy88
# Posted: 10 Apr 2015 07:25

Thanks for all the info. The Bunkie will never be heated it is just a place for sleeping mostly summer times. But I guess the osb will be best.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.