Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / tri star ts-mppt-60 controller
pizzadude
# Posted: 7 May 2015 20:40

Anyone familiar with this controller?
I've been getting a FET short fault on the display. The only info I can find online is from the downloaded manual which states that the fault indicates a damaged power switch? Or a problem in the software.
I've seen no info on how to fix the problem or clear the fault. When I cycle power to the controller, it appears fine for some time, but after so long the fault returns.
I have not connected solar to the controller yet. I am charging my bank via trickle charge(1.5a) plug in type charger.
Can someone shed some light on what my problem is?
Thanks🍕

creeky
# Posted: 8 May 2015 11:44

I have two.

I have never seen the FET short or, indeed, heard of it. The only "online" mention I found the guy seemed to fix the problem by disconnecting his RTS (remote temp) line.

Now I have to ask some obvious sounding questions:

I take it you've hooked the charger directly to the batteries. Its not going through the controller?

You have your dip switch settings correctly configured for your battery voltage etc.

I would disconnect the RTS and try running a solar panel into the CC and see what happens.

It may just be you have a faulty controller. Is it new? Contact MS and see what they say.

pizzadude
# Posted: 8 May 2015 12:41

creeky
Thanks for your sensible reply.
I will try disconnecting the rts and see what happens. Unfortunately I am unable to connect the solar for another few weeks so I'll try it when I can.
Yes, the charger is directly connected to the batteries. Does not go through the controller. It's been trickle charging like this for a couple weeks, the fault just showed up The other day. That is what concerns me. I'd hate to have my controller go bad, as far as I'm aware, the way it is currently set up should pose no threat to the health of the controller.
The dip switches are set correctly as per the Morningstar manual.

creeky
# Posted: 8 May 2015 16:41

well, it's highly unusual. esp. for morningstar.

so it might just be a working in process. maybe something to do with it being hooked to your batteries with no input.

and i would disconnect it for now.

good luck.

ps-all my replies are sensible. i do wonder when certain folks have difficulty understanding me or seem to deliberately misconstrue. but what can you do? about those whose aims are not true.

and. sometimes i just like to play with words.

pizzadude
# Posted: 8 May 2015 22:47

You might be right, like johnny5 my controller may just "need input".
Thanks creeky

pizzadude
# Posted: 10 Jun 2015 13:42

My solar panels((3)230w) are now in place and all components are connected. I bought a decent 8x16' enclosed trailer have all components stored inside, panels are roof attached. I love the setup.
It's been a week now since everything has been hooked up and completed. I'm happy to report that the controller is working flawlessly. No faults, and at almost peak sun was pulling in 29.xx amps(370w)solar input! So sweet to watch the wheels spin
Heading up again tomorrow for 4 days. Hope to find out what max sun can produce..

creeky
# Posted: 10 Jun 2015 15:36

your system sounds really cool. what a great idea with the trailer.

I won't ask you for pics. cough cough.

oh. and the tristar reporting consistently does 2 things. it under reports max watts. The most I've ever seen on my web log is 812, but "live" I've seen 932. you've got way newer stuff so maybe you'll see something different. i do have the latest firmware/software tho.

and I consistently see web log 12.1x v for overnight voltages, but if I log on live (even in the middle of the night with the fridge running) I've never seen lower than 12.3x. So don't know what's up with that.

now. give me a moment to wipe a tear from my eye. lol.

there are getting to be a lot of really good systems on this site. soon everyone will have an amazing solar system but we can always say, "I remember, when in 201x I built" and all the kids will look at us and ...

btw. for general purposes. a study was released a few weeks back and it says solar is now mature. I know I was surprised but when Steve_s put his system together; most of the stuff has gone up in price since I built mine 5 years ago. yikes. I guess it's true.

So. with the exception of batteries... man we are getting there.

PS. don't suppose you went lithium?

pizzadude
# Posted: 10 Jun 2015 21:54

Cheap batteries. But they've served me well. Haven't fully discharged yet.
But I play it conservatively..
20150607_131925.jpg
20150607_131925.jpg
20150605_151834.jpg
20150605_151834.jpg

pizzadude
# Posted: 15 Jun 2015 07:42

Few more pics of my setup.
And a brand new whitetail.
20150611_195436.jpg
20150611_195436.jpg
20150611_195307.jpg
20150611_195307.jpg
20150613_133645.jpg
20150613_133645.jpg

pizzadude
# Posted: 15 Jun 2015 07:44

Oops. Little deer didn't load.
Here she is,, so cute
20150609_190536.jpg
20150609_190536.jpg

creeky
# Posted: 15 Jun 2015 11:11

man. nice pic of the fawn.

and nice system. that'll keep ya goin'.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.