Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Powderpost beetle hatch
Don_P
# Posted: 22 May 2015 08:03

I mentioned on a thread somewhere about a week ago that we were in a powderpost beetle hatch... that happened to be at the same time I was whittling down my log pile into lumber. The first pic is a group hitting a locust post, I got that shot because black locust is harder than the hubs, it took them 2 days to get in. The second shot is one of their frass mounds on some yellow (tulip) poplar, soft, starchy and sweet, they went into the sapwood of it like candy. As an aside this was colonial baby powder. She will uncap a few cells, taste for starch, and if good food for her just bred eggs she'll tunnel in and deposit. The larvae will work under the surface for 1-7 years depending on moisture and starch content and then emerge to repeat. I've been through one sack of borate dipping the lumber and need to restock.
PPBlocust.jpg
PPBlocust.jpg
ppbmound.jpg
ppbmound.jpg

creeky
# Posted: 22 May 2015 08:57

In locust. them some mean little guys.

couple summers ago I was at a millyard looking for some boards, had a pile of cash in my pocket. Bob said, well, i'm cutting red pine tomorrow. and we went and looked at the logs. what you could see of them. just full of beetles happily racing in and out.

my wallet stayed closed.

good luck.

old243
# Posted: 22 May 2015 16:20

You have to cut pine or spruce , in the winter before the bugs get into it.or early spring . I have used a garden sprayer filled with diesel fuel, give them a good misting , roll the log over as well. The little buggers will make a mess in a hurry. They like to work on the bottom , where you can't see them. old 243.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.