Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Foundation Question
kayakfisher
# Posted: 30 May 2015 08:08

I did a test cabin a couple of years ago that finished out about 10x10, I used local timbers set on concrete blocks and it seems to be holding up well. I used pealed trees as my 4 corner post so the cabin ended up not being exactly square.

I am starting a larger build and I am going to use milled lumber for the entire project. My property is hilly and I can drive to the site that I will be constructing most of the time. My question is about the foundation. Just wondering about the pros and cons of sinking 6x6 treated post to secure the beams for the foundation. My plan was to sink 3 rows of 3 post. Did most who have done this just you river rock to tamp the holes for drainage on the post? concrete? Thanks

Don_P
# Posted: 30 May 2015 22:43

The way I would build something like that would be to dig down below frost depth and pour a concrete footing to set the 6x6 on, the footing spreads the load over a larger area of ground. It keeps the post from sinking. Then run the treated posts all the way up to the top of the wall. The posts then become cantilevered beams, the walls bracing the posts. I use native mineral soil, not the organic topsoil layer, and add enough rock to make tamping firmly work. The floor support beams would be on something like a Simpson HUCQ hanger on the sides of the posts.

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 May 2015 22:46

Kayakfisher- maybe I'm the wrong person to answer your question because I refuse to put wood into the dirt for any reason except fences and retaining walls. And even for those I prefer steel and masonry. The reason is just that it will not last long at all. Treated lumber might last 20 years of you are lucky. So I would encourage you to make some sort of concrete or stone foundation so your kids will be able to use the building.

That said, pole barns made with specially treated poles can last much longer. Basically you use what they use for utility poles. But the preservative they use is nasty, not sure I'd want to live in that building.

But if you are determined to put 6x6 in the dirt, get the best quality you can and I'd use concrete around them. Good luck!

Don_P
# Posted: 31 May 2015 07:55

The possible preservatives used in foundation grade treated lumber include CCA, probably the one our home inspector is referring to, but also include the non arsenic treatments ACQ and CA. For this use a designation on the tag of UC4B or UC4C would be the treatment level needed.

"Some sort of concrete or stone foundation" is a pretty broad description that includes many methods that are likely to fail in pretty short order. A full perimeter concrete, masonry or stone foundation on a continuous footing is no doubt the best choice.

Steve_S
# Posted: 31 May 2015 09:34

You should seriously consider using a BigFoot form base and sonotube. I've used them a few times for various projects with excellent results. They are available at all building supply stores and not expensive. Sure you'll have to lug concrete to site & dig bigger holes BUT they'll still be there in 20 years or longer. There is a few pole barns around here and the fella's used these forms, 4' deep (below frost line) to 6" above grade and attached their 6x6's to connectors embedded into the concrete...

BigFoot Systems website

Here is a decent Mini Pole Barn plan that has some good detail. Candlewood PDF

Lastly, We tossed around several ideas for our build and had pre-planning chats with our Building Inspector (terrific guy, we got really lucky) and after crunching the numbers and factoring time/labour (I am the builder, no subs) we decided to go with a FPSF Slab Foundation. We were able to get our insulation foam (recovered 4" SM Roofmate) from a commercial roofer for $4 a sheet. Because of that alone we saved a huge bundle! These foundations typically use 2" SM for R10. Surprisingly the concrete isn't that expensive and was actually cheaper for us to go slab than pier which we considered. Our build is 24x20.

Kijiji & Craigslist are your friend !

kayakfisher
# Posted: 6 Jun 2015 06:11

Thanks, The bigfoot looks like the way to go. It will take me a little longer but with the mess my loggers left It looks like I am going to be burning slash piles for 2 years anyway.

Thanks for the replies!

Steve_S
# Posted: 6 Jun 2015 07:58

Here is another link to a similar product to BigFoot called Foot Tubes which I have just seen at a local building supply. These actually look a bit easier in some ways and certain advantages if you have potential wet soils or drainage issues... I was surprised at how inexpensive they are.

Good luck and post photo's!

BTW: The slash piles likely contain a lot of good firewood & kindling... Have you ever considered a Rocket Stove ?

leonk
# Posted: 6 Jun 2015 10:43

where r u located and what's the depth of frost, what kind of soil?

Depending on your budget and other plans, something w/o foundation might do nicely.

I agree with BI - no wood in the ground (or in contact with the ground if you can help it).

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.