Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Filter for softened well water?
VC_fan
# Posted: 30 May 2015 14:53

All:
We're moving to a place (our new residence) that has well water, which is new for us. They have it plumbed so all call faucets inside the house get softened water. Does anybody have suggestions for filters, etc that make the softened water safe for plants and not feel/taste softened? Any general suggestions as to things to look for in a filter system? Any suggestions / experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks!

MtnDon
# Posted: 30 May 2015 19:07 - Edited by: MtnDon

If what you want is to remove the sodium that the normal softening process adds to the water there probably is not a filter that can do that. You might look into using potassium chloride salt instead of sodium chloride salt. Or you might need an RO system (reverse osmosis).

Is the water before being softened so hard as to be a problem?

VC_fan
# Posted: 31 May 2015 08:47

Thanks for the response. We understand from neighbors that one of the reasons they've always softened it to a high level is high iron content. So I think it's probably not something we want to wash clothes in or probably bathe with unless we want that rusty glow on everything. I think the untreated water tastes fine but this question is mostly prompted by my wife. I didn't see how you could filter out dissolved salt but I thought I'd ask the experts here. I have no experience with RO. Do people like the taste and does that make it safe for houseplants?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 31 May 2015 09:24

Quoting: VC_fan
high iron content

I built a house back in the 1985 on 6 acres --drilled the well had iron
back them I bought a MCClean filter from Sears( $1800 bucks ouch!!! and a lot of money back then)....worked ok...tea was still black when I made it, clothes still dingy, fixtures in bathroom was a nightmare to keep clean....SOLD it 5 years later--loved the house hated the well...good luck on your iron well...it's a nightmare even today..it is so bad on your plumping and pumps

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 May 2015 10:53 - Edited by: MtnDon

RO removes most minerals. Reference here.

We use it mainly to remove the arsenic which is prevalent in our area.

Our water tests at around 500 ppm TDS (total dissolved solids) which is very hard. Lots of calcium; sprinkler overspray on a car or a house window leaves white deposits. After passing through the RO it comes out at around 20 ppm. We like it for drinking.

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 May 2015 11:07

The downside of RO is that it wastes water. The RO membrane filter is washed and that water goes down the drain as it contains all the removed minerals. So we only use it on the drinking water lines and the ice maker supply. An extra faucet at the sinks.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 31 May 2015 12:04

my well water at my house where I built now is PERFECT for drinking...love it so much. I had water last night with my meal at the local Mexican restaurant and all I could taste is chlorine ..ugg...I HATE city water!!!...really feel sad for folks who have to drink it every day!!! my well comes out of a deep well...they hit granite about 60 feet and went down to less than 200 feet. 25 GPM of great drinking water!!! And is so cold when you get it from the faucet.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.