Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Kenora 2 interior
littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 6 Jun 2015 21:48

Hi I am a newbie to the cabin scene.
I recently purchased the plans for the Kenora 2 from Townandcountryplans.com.
I have seen numerous pictures of the exterior but I have not seen any pics of what it will look like on the inside.
If anyone has pics could they please post.
Thanks

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Jun 2015 23:11

I built their "Whitehorse" cabin.

Nice plans. I made slight adjustments to mine.

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 6 Jun 2015 23:36

I saw yours.It was the reason I checked out town and country.
Yours looks awesome.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Jun 2015 12:03 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Thanks. I never sent them interior updates. I need some privacy. But it is all done.

I actually bought the Whitehorse II originally (3 sets of plans) and decided not to do the up stairs. Though I would of added a dormer on both sides if I did do it. I sent those off to Julie2Oregon in case she wanted to build it. It fit her idea of what she wanted.

I made all changes to the plans in whiteout and submitted it to the building dept for approval, signed off with ease. They made me add a tempered glass to one of the front windows closest to the door. I think they figured it was right next to the door (withing 24") but in reality, it was almost 6 feet away. The front elevation is 2 dimensional and realized they didnt know it had a covered porch. That was the only change and it didnt need it. But that one window is tempered. I just followed the plan to a "T"

I also moved my steps to the side and rail all way way across the front. My cabin was on a downhill slope in front, so the side steps worked better for me. Moved a window on the back wall out of the corner and made the roof steeper to shed snow better but kept each gable just under 4 feet to save lumber (what I cut off the 8 foot sheets, left enough for the other side)

You doing the full footing/stemwall? I did, to me, that was way easier, just a dozer to dig it out, foundation in, backfilled it. I showed up, it was all done and in place. I deleted the exterior crawlspace and put one inside. I have so much extra storage now, no thieves getting under it and best of all, no varmints inside, EVER.

On the Kenora II, I would do a shed type dormer vs the gable and do one on each side. Give you way more headroom upstairs, simpler to build (less time an materials, less chance of leakage too.

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 7 Jun 2015 13:35

I am still debating on the Kenora. My big dilemma is this build will be done
in the desert of southwest Texas. It will be completely off grid
so having a 2nd story will be hard to cool.
Where I am building this there are no utilities for miles.
So cooling this will be done with a generator. A second story
would be so freaking hot 5 months of the year.
The white horse is another option but so is the loon.

I really don't mind buying multiple sets of plans since they are
so cheap.lol
I just want to make sure I do the right thing the first time
since I will retire there

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Jun 2015 15:29

I have the attic, insulated and sheeted on both sides of the ceiling, nothing between the roof rafters for insulation or covering them, just open rafters and by sheeting the top (attic floor, do this before the roof is on) eliminates any dew or mold, keeps it very cool in the cabin and makes for massive storage up there too.

PS, having the attic sheeted on the attic floow makes for easy roof building, nice place to stand.

The Famous Grouse
# Posted: 7 Jun 2015 17:35

Quoting: littlehouseontheprarie

# Posted: 7 Jun 2015 13:35

Reply getQuotation('littlehouseontheprarie');Quote

I am still debating on the Kenora. My big dilemma is this build will be done in the desert of southwest Texas. It will be completely off gridso having a 2nd story will be hard to cool.Where I am building this there are no utilities for miles.So cooling this will be done with a generator. A second story would be so freaking hot 5 months of the year.The white horse is another option but so is the loon.

Whatever you build, make sure you use the sheathing that has the pre-applied foil radiant heat barrier!

I used this stuff on the shed at my property and I cannot BELIEVE the differnce this makes. For $2 extra per sheet, you get the foil that almost totally blocks radiant heat transfer.

Yes, insluation is still required, but this is a tremendous extra helper for the price.

Grouse

rockies
# Posted: 7 Jun 2015 18:57 - Edited by: rockies

This is similar to the plans for the cabin featured in the Mother Earth News article "Build This Cozy Cabin for $4000".

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/cozy-cabin-zmaz06jjzraw.aspx

I adapted the plans in a thread on this site called "Build this cozy cabin" as well. I was able to get a full kitchen and bathroom inside, as well as have a nice loft and livingroom/diningroom.

The big change I made was to pull the wall with the entrance door in it forward so that it is under the end gable. The reason for this was that a loft over a porch creates a sleeping space that has a cold zone on 4 sides of it (the floor, the gable end wall, and the two gable roof planes). The other reason is that the two most expensive parts of a cabin to build are the foundation and the roof, so why not create usable indoor space under the roof and add on a lean-to porch on the side?

All it would take for you to greatly increase the usable indoor space would be to enclose the porch, or extend the length with a couple more widths of 4x8 plywood and some studs. That's the nice thing about extending a simple gable roof, you can add on forever.

My final size was 14 feet wide by 20 feet long, with a lean to screen porch on the south side.

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 7 Jun 2015 18:57

Thanks Grouse.I will use that.I am also using 2x6 instead of 2x4 construction to be able to get more insulation in there.
I just do not want to bake myself in this thing.110 degrees in the shade is not a fun experience for anyone.

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 7 Jun 2015 19:02

Thanks Rockies I am going to look into this one also.
I already have another set of plans for a 16x16 with 6/12 pitch.
I got those off line for I think 9.99 shipped.
The thing I like about those plans is they also included the Materials list.

rockies
# Posted: 9 Jun 2015 20:22

If you read the article in Mother earth News, the author provides a construction drawing and materials list, including approximate prices.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.