Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Percolation Test
researcher
# Posted: 27 Aug 2010 18:35

Does anyone have any experience with doing their own percolation test? Since I plan on one day building a house on the land on which I plan to build a cabin, the ability to install a septic system is a must. But, since the house is far off in the future I'd rather not pay someone to do a perc test just now.

What I'd like to do is do my own perc test before purchasing property. Although it's not official and won't help me get a septic permit at least I'll know that in the future it will pass an official test.

The way I understand it is that you need to dig a hole roughly two feet deep in the area you plan to put the septic system. Then you need to saturate that hole, and then fill it with water. Then keep track of how long it takes for the hole to empty a certain amount. Of course local regulations will vary but this seems to be the basics.

Any input?

rob_o
# Posted: 27 Aug 2010 20:57

This covers the procedure pretty well

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/DD0583.html

researcher
# Posted: 27 Aug 2010 21:03

Oh that's great. Thank you.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Oct 2010 16:14

Quoting: researcher
What I'd like to do is do my own perc test before purchasing property. Although it's not official and won't help me get a septic permit at least I'll know that in the future it will pass an official test.

It may not help you get the permit, but if it wont perk, a spendy mound system will be in order. Just have the seller do a perk test, sale will be contingent upon a passing perk test.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.