Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Natural light
pizzadude
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 01:00

As I type this, I'm drinking a Natural Light beer(thought I'd try a case because it's was cheap.. eh... think I'll stick to Schmidt)
Got me thinking though...
Being here up at the cabin I noticed how much it pains me to flip the light switch on.
I've grown accustomed to using my oil lamps for my primary source of light.
Have a campfire burning lowly, lights up the surrounding woods just enough to reveal what the sun has left behind.
Batteries are fully charged. Solar is in float mode.
Have all the power I need.

Yet I find the most satisfaction in utilizing natural light.
There's something about a flame lit light that makes me feel.... well, I don't know the best way to explain it..

It's just nice

pizzadude
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 01:12 - Edited by: pizzadude

Good night fellow cabinists..
Peace.................

...........................: )

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 01:31

goodnight, P-dude

beachman
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 06:16

Drank a lot of Schmidt back in my Jr College days - a buck a six pack. Good to hear they are alive and well. After the S, take every other letter out.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 06:59

NO problem drinks a "natty light"...put prefer a nice cold Coor's light..packed in ice in my Yeti cooler...want em ice cold!!!

drb777
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 12:40

Back in the older days of my youth, I had a windsurfing buddy that would bring Carlton Black Label beer in his ice chest out to the lake, I think it was the cheapest (strong) beer he could find (we have some wierd laws here about beer alcohol content). And to make it even colder still, he would shake some salt over the ice, sort of like making ice cream. So when he would pop-a-top, the beer would even slush-up a bit. And that reminds me of the "Mason Jar" beer joint in my college town of Stillwater, OK, where they served the draft Coors in frozen mason jars. And thus advertised as the coldest brew in town, plus a free bowl of peanuts and the shells were dropped on the floor. Ah, the good old days...'even had happy hour with dollar pitchers of draft.

rmak
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 13:11

My best beer story was when I was at college in the early 70's. It was the "Rocky Mountain High" period and instead of going to the beaches, all the hippie types would go out to Colorado and commune with nature.

Some hippie/capitalists would make some extra money running back cases of Coors beer. We couldn't get it in Ohio, and it was a status symbol to drink it. We thought it was the best beer on the planet. People would pay double for the privilege.

Of course, the punch line is that when it began to be distributed here, no one wanted it anymore. It really wasn't that good. It was all just a mental thing.

Another funny part was that people out west wanted Strohs beer from the east. For us, it was just a ho-hum local brand.

But pizzadude, I did want to comment on natural light. I remember reading the theory that watching burning fires is a primal/prehistoric instinct or urge. The guy who wrote about this suggested that TV's are the modern day substitute for a hearth fire since the light flickers and it's usually in the center of the living area. I always thought that was interesting. My wife, Diane, always wants to have a fire, either one in the fireplace, woodstove at the cabin or a campfire. She sits and watches it for hours. She also watches the chick flicks on TV in the same mindless way, so I think there is something to the theory.

Bret
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 13:23 - Edited by: Bret

My wife insisted on having large quantities of natural light at the cabin. No more throwing stones for me.
PS I was one of those that traveled to CO in the early 70's to commune with nature. Not much of a beer drinker, but the mountains had a certain brightness to them.

Gary O
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 18:39

Quoting: rmak
TV's are the modern day substitute for a hearth fire

I watched the yule log on PBS for 24 hrs once

mesmerizing

slew and ate the neighbor's cat the next morning

...shoulda cooked it I s'pose

pizzadude
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 23:54

beachman!
Shame on you. Schmidt beer is the cat's ass.
Ranks right up there with Blatz.
Seriously though, never thought growing up that Schmidt would ever be my choice of taste. But it is now. Personally I think the flavor is underestimated.
Wait, that doesn't make sense...
Oh well.
At least the oil lamps are lit..
I'm loving it.

Here's to all our beer taste varieties👉🍻

pizzadude
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 23:58 - Edited by: pizzadude

Ooooo! GaryO, fried cat's ass and an ice cold Schmidt.
Hot and cold. Best of the best.
You're welcome around my campfire anytime my friend.

Gary O
# Posted: 15 Jun 2015 02:01 - Edited by: Gary O

...do you have PBS?

(I have an impending feeling that this thread is gonna get Schmidt canned)

Jim in NB
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 11:02

Natural light - thru the windows - great at daybreak and by candle light is the way to go .... as for beer, I'll stick to Moosehead Light!
MacBeth_Sept_013.JPG
MacBeth_Sept_013.JPG
MacBeth_22_Oct_006.J.jpg
MacBeth_22_Oct_006.J.jpg

hueyjazz
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 11:44

I went to college in NY in the late 70's. I rented a floor of a row house with three other guys. One of them worked summers at a Budweiser beer distributer. Back then if you worked for Anheuser Busch you got employee pricing at any bud distributor. 1/4 Kegs were $7, cases were $3 and anything with a broken bottle in it was free. You never left without a free case even if they had to make one. We drank enough Bud to float us. Can't even stand the smell of Bud anymore

But ambient light from the sun cleanses my soul. Nothing like light that also imparts a warm feeling.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.