Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Ryobi Chainsaw for Father's Day
SteveN
# Posted: 24 Jun 2015 11:41

Much to my surprise I got a new chainsaw for Father's Day. It's a Ryobi 46cc saw with 18" bar. Reviews online seem to be hot and cold for it. Some saying it's junk, others saying it's great, and others saying it's good "bang for the buck". The saw came with a nice case which allows room to store a couple of rags and a container of bar oil. The case is a great addition and I really like it a lot. The saw itself started up with no problems and ran nicely at idle. I haven't cut anything with it yet but plan to do some clearing on the property in July.

I've used some nice saws (Stihl and Husqvarna) when I was in the military and hope that the Ryobi will be good enough for the work I'll be doing. It will mostly be lighter work with felling some smaller trees and doing some brush clearing. I'll get some photos up and post again with some notes on performance after I've used it.

Anyone else have experience with this saw? What are your thoughts?

ColdFlame
# Posted: 24 Jun 2015 15:12

I have the same saw, but mine came with the 20" bar option. I am a big fan of it, and a friend of mine had the same one. It's been a work horse for both of us. For the vast majority of non-professional use, it works and performs very well for the cost. I have 0 complaints about mine thus far, and I've had it for 2.5 years or so.

I bent my bar a while back (my own stupidity), so I need to replace it, but other than that, it's been absolutely solid. It starts easily and cuts like butter provided you have a sharp chain.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Jun 2015 21:16

The Ryobi is probably made by Poulan and is a decent saw for the money and putting around the place, perfect. Those who say its no good are probably professional fellers and probably had too high expectations. This is great for the weekend warrior/cutter, but not for extended commercial duty is all.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 24 Jun 2015 21:51

Any saw that runs and is sharp is a great saw. Some last longer than others. That's the difference. I have heard many a pissed person swearing at their "name brand" saw.

Secret to longevity is care. Fresh gas, fuel stabilizer, proper oil ratio, clean air filter, etc.

Enjoy your fantastic gift. Be careful. They will all hurt a feller.

Salty Craig

SteveN
# Posted: 25 Jun 2015 11:44

Thanks for the advice/opinions guys!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.