Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Climate Right Heating/Cooling Units
rmak
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 14:54 - Edited by: rmak

I have been looking at the most efficient way to heat a portion of my barn (approx. 11x15x8 or 1300 cu ft). I plan to insulate and finish it for studio space. Does anyone have any experience with the Climate Right brand name heater/ac units?
http://www.climaterightair.com/climateright-5000-btu-a-c-heater.html
Is there a better or more efficient system like this on the market?

bldginsp
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 16:39

I don't have experience with that brand but I see a fair number of similar split system heat pumps going in here in Central California. What they tell me is that they need to be carefully sized for the space they will heat, and that they will not provide heat when the outside temp is below 40-45 F. How cold does it get where you are? Will a heat pump work during your colder weather?

I've thought about installing one on my cabin at 4000 ft where it snows in winter, to use for heat in spring and fall and AC in summer. Woodstove and propane wall heater in winter. Woodstove would be too much in a small cabin in spring and fall, and you can use a lot of propane with a wall mounted heater if you use it regularly. So it would be nice to have all three, but that's a lot of investment for heating a small cabin

rockies
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 19:30

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?1473971-Mini-splits-and-best-cold-weather-Hea t-Pumps

Mitsubishi Hyperheat seems to be the best on the market right now, but it depends on how cold it gets where you are.

http://www.mitsubishielectric.ca/en/hvac/city_multi/h2i.html

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 19:38 - Edited by: MtnDon

From looking at the specs I do not believe that unit is a heat pump. I believe the heater side is a simple resistance heater. Look at the cooling and heating amps. The cooling section lists startup amps to be 13.5 amps with 6.2 amps for operating amps. That is typical of a compressor A/C unit. Both startup and operating amps for the heating are rated at 9.5 amps. If that was a heat pump there would also be a startup surge when the compressor starts in heat mode.

So to me, that unit is a window type A/C packaged in a box with a resistance heater and some air distribution hoses. Seems like a lot of money unless you really need the hose system. You could end up with the same capabilities with a window A/C and a portable electric heater. And save a lot of bucks.

Just my opinion.

rmak
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 19:54

I am open to anything that is efficient and cheap. I really don't require AC. This is not for my cabin, but for a room I'm building in the barn. I found the ClimateRight when I googled efficient heat. I'm in Ohio.

rockies
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 20:04

If you have a south facing wall, you could try this. It's a solar air heater.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/renewable-energy/solar-air-heater-zmaz06djzraw.aspx

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 20:44 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: rmak
I found the ClimateRight when I googled efficient heat.

Well, it is what one would expect; 9.5amps x 120 volts = 1140 watts, close enough to call it 1200 watts as listed in the specs. No better than a cheapy from Lowe's. $20 and more watts at 1500 watts.

So ClimateRight is no better than any electric heater that uses a resistance element. The only way to get more efficient with electric heat is to buy a heat pump and those do have limits to their lower end of the ambient temperature range. And none are what I would call cheap to purchase.

How much is it going to be used? Often enough to warrant spending big $$ for a heat pump, in order to get a little better efficiency? But a heat pump would give you cooling too with a cool/heat model... most heat pumps I've seen are primarily coolers with some being reversible for heat.

We have had one of those Utilitech's for 4 years or so and it works as well as it is ugly.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.