Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Dampness Removal
Yankee301
# Posted: 15 Sep 2010 17:43

Just bought a cabin and there is lots to do. I would like to lower the dampness and mustiness a bit. When I am there I am sure running the woodstove will bring it down enough. How about when I am not there, is there a good way to keep the humidity down so the linens don't get too bad. I am familiar with the Damp Rid product but I was thinking of something more economical and larger. How about a pail with kitty litter to absorb moisture and Calcium Chloride on top. What setups do you guys use?

steveqvs
# Posted: 15 Sep 2010 22:42

Do you have power? Are there any vents in the cabin?

Kithera
# Posted: 16 Sep 2010 08:21

Venting really is your best bet. a small solar powered fan in a second story or loft window will do the job without compromising security.

Yankee301
# Posted: 16 Sep 2010 09:00

I have solar power and there is two turbine vents in the roof. I just bought the camp and took all the old nasty linens and mattresses out. I also tore up the carpets that were laid on the floor. The bench style seats for a table were wrapped in linen and padding, i removed that as well. Just doing those things made a difference. i was just hoping to keep the humidity down as much as possible. When I get some new mattresses I will wrap them in a vinyl cover. I will probably use vacuum bags for the other linens. My wife just hates the mildew smell on linens and things.

RnR
# Posted: 22 Sep 2010 20:57

Hi, about the mattress covers, Walmart sells various waterproof mattress protectors that completely encase the mattres and seal with a zipper. I've used them and they are great.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Oct 2010 22:18

Ventilation, keeping air moving and this will also avoid any temperature difference which leads to sweat and moisture. Do you have an attic with vents? If so, you could just leave the attic access open, this would give you air flow and keep temps the same inside vs outside.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.